• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 MD-500E Pilot

MD-500E Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:53

I might suggest the MD-902 (Notar) Light twin helicopter with the Folding Blade Option

Hello, again.

I'm in a search for the best light helicopter suited for yacht operations, I need a helicopter to operate off a 130-140' expedition yacht which is still in the design phase. I want to know what pilots prefer helicopter wise and landing pad config.

helicopter wise, we are looking at light turbine (preferably twin turbine). We were considering the Long jetbox (206 long ranger) becuase it only has a 2 bladed rotor head which allows for much easier storage becuase the helicopter will be kept in a hangar. So folding rotorheads or twin bladed is a must. We were also considering the AS355 becuase of it's twin engine qualities. But we prefer the seating arangment of the long ranger due to the fact that it makes deboarding and loading much easier for shuttling large amount of pax to/from the yacht.

any input is appriciated from helipad/hangar design to helicopter choice.

the single engine 206L over water is a scary thought in my mind, even knowing the reliability of turbines.
thanks, drew

#42 acedeuce

acedeuce

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 22:47

I was thinking this but I've got up and around in an As355 and I just don't like it much. Must be an aquired taste.

Wheels are the way to go for landing on a ship. If you didn't have to fold the blades the AGUSTA 109 POWER is the way to go. Similar dimensions to AS355. The Power does extremely well in the offshore environment provided you keep the salt off it. Been flying it for a year and a half offshore landing on vessels at sea, great aircraft. good luck.

#43 fatnlazy

fatnlazy

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Interests:Family, married w/5 children, 2 dogs a cat and a log truck. Love hunting, fishing, and flying.
  • Company working for:BFS

Posted 02 January 2007 - 23:00

206L4 is the best and most reliable (type 3 or light helicopter) ever built. Just my 2.
It's hard to stay fat if you don't eat.

#44 james28

james28

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:05

this topic has been on since october. have you had any lucky yet kcdelta? i'm interested to hear what you have chosen.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old, bold pilots.

#45 hosinmigs

hosinmigs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:26

Is anyone familiar with someone who does this kind of operation regularly? I was hoping to touch base with them....

Thanks.

(PM would be great)

#46 Kc135Delta

Kc135Delta

CFI Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Company working for:Northrop Grumman

Posted 26 January 2007 - 22:06

this topic has been on since october. have you had any lucky yet kcdelta? i'm interested to hear what you have chosen.

Yea, dropped the idea of the helicopter landing on the yacht, I am looking into a dedicated helicopter ship (and other water toys) to shadow the main yacht. It will cost more $$$ but the whoa factor should more than foot the bill :D . Also the fact that one of my long awaited standing investments (finnally) paid out to the tune of 87 million this December. Allthough I think I should buy a new house first as I am still living in my inherited 2400 sqft. home. I have been under the gun work wise these past uhmmmm.... 3 years and haven't had time to buy a new one. Still single though so it's not a problem. Not to mention the fact that I only get to spend about 20 days annually at home... so it sits cold most of the year while I continue to become more familiar with the local marriott or hilton depending on where I am that night. So I guess my small split level house in my deteriorating neighborhood suits me just fine... no reason to be wasteful...

Anyways enough of my rambling

Is anyone familiar with someone who does this kind of operation regularly? I was hoping to touch base with them....

Thanks.

I have probably the best idea of what it takes possible without acctually doing it. So if you post your questions I can probably answer the questions about integration while others can answer the helicopter and yacht specific questions.

By the way this is probably the most informative helicopter site on the net. Just becuase it isn't too small (not enough people to cover all areas of the subject) or too large where you gets lost in the Library of posting's,

Thanks for your time,

Drew
  • mike0331 likes this

#47 james28

james28

VR Veteran Poster

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 00:32

congrats. sounds like a blast. hope everything turns out for the best.
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there aren't any old, bold pilots.

#48 Jared99

Jared99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 10:33

Just wonder... Are there any specifications for a yacht helicopter in terms of harsh environment (mostly I think about salt) or it doesn't make such a difference? Salty water and air is highly corrosive even when your boat still floats :D

• chris pochari likes this

#49 hanzSchmidt

hanzSchmidt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:33

Just wonder... Are there any specifications for a yacht helicopter in terms of harsh environment (mostly I think about salt) or it doesn't make such a difference? Salty water and air is highly corrosive even when your boat still floats :D

Almost all helicopters are made from different alloys of aluminum B) , so they are not afraid of corrosion. Since the helicopter moves through the air, rather than water, it can be said that all helicopters are protected. Although if you have such a boat , it is better to buy a water helicopter  :D

#50 Wally

Wally

VR Veteran Poster

• VR Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  • Interests:Reading's high on the list.
  • Company working for:none

Posted 26 September 2018 - 16:14

Was I seriously considering a helicopter for yacht operations, I wouldn't be asking here.  I suggest you contact somebody with experience preparing and maintaining a helo in a marine environment, like a Gulf of Mexico operator, somebody from their completions or maintenance department.  My recollection is that they strip, repaint and corrosion proof their aircraft on a regular basis, like every few years?

If restricted hangarage is an issue, the Bell 206 series is your best bet.  NO blade folding maintenance issues, and safe as houses.  Not to mention a record of suitability in the GoM.  If you're going to operate with lots of passengers, freight, the L4 would be my recommendation.

I ended up hating the 355, feared it the last few years.  If it could break on one of them, it did.  A 350B3, even a B2 will carry more, farther, faster.

No experience in the newer light twins, the EC 135 (or whatever the company is this week).  My impression from a 48 year career evenly split between light twins and singles is that the second engine is only a safety advantage if you train your pilots very well and operate it to maximize the redundancy of power sources.  Otherwise the other systems are a disadvantage to the pilot, not to mention nearly doubling the maintenance per flight hour of the comparable single engine's cost.  If you don't need and aren't willing to pay for 'Marine One' safety, you're better off with a good single and great staffing.

Edited by Wally, 26 September 2018 - 16:17.

Just a pilot (retired, so I have a LOT of time)...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

LORD_VRFTForum200NFCVRGeneral200HeliHelmetsGenesys VRForum200_GeneralMaunaLoaSoftwareVRGeneral200PrecisionVRForumGeneral200BE_VRGen200Spectrum_VRGeneral468