I've read and searched threads to no avail on this topic. I've read several references about the inherent stability of the GOM and some opposite comments about the EMS market. For the most part all the threads mention how much people love their jobs. Is it an unstable market? I understand that contracts move, etc but is the stability something to be overly concerned with? If I do choose to go this route I'd feel alot more comfortable knowing I could buy a house without a constant fear of having to move/sell the house or up-root my family.

Thanks Gomer, I know aviation is inherently unstable but I keep reading comments about EMS that you might show up one day to no job. I'm already used to instability...just wanted to get an idea of how it really is. So what are you saying? If I got on with X company (as you said,I'm sure it depends on where and what contract) in X city, would you buy a house and move your family in or rent and get an idea of what lies ahead?

Edited by chamerican

I think i would be cautious and wait awhile before committing completely. You might not like the company, or the area, or any number of things could happen. I'm not living where I work for several reasons. My schedule is 7 on/7 off, with company-provided quarters, so it's not difficult to do. The company will pay for my move if I ever decide to, but it's not likely that I will. Not all companies work this way, though, and it's hard to make generalizations. I'm hesitant to tell you what to do, because there are so many variables, most of which I don't know much if anything about.

I think i would be cautious and wait awhile before committing completely. You might not like the company, or the area, or any number of things could happen. I'm not living where I work for several reasons. My schedule is 7 on/7 off, with company-provided quarters, so it's not difficult to do. The company will pay for my move if I ever decide to, but it's not likely that I will. Not all companies work this way, though, and it's hard to make generalizations. I'm hesitant to tell you what to do, because there are so many variables, most of which I don't know much if anything about.

So when you are on aren't the shifts 12 hours? and you still don't go home at night (or day)?

Thanks Gomer. I don't expect you to tell me exactly what is best. I know there are so many variables involved- but then again I'm pretty sure you've been around in the business awhile and definitely respect your input. I'd gathered from other threads that most companies don't provide on site housing. I know aviation is never solid but I'm most concerned uprooting my wife out of a job and a lifestyle every year or so. I already do that on repeated deployments which is a big reason for me getting out of military aviation.

One more piece you might be able to confirm or deny is the overtime issue. A co-worker of mine is more than likely getting on with a company in the NE and was told that although the base pay is around $55ish you can supplement that by working a few weeks of overtime per year. Looking at the pay scales on BH's website I don't see a lot of promising income levels but if it is in fact true that you can increase that a bit at time-in-a-half it wouldn't be so bad. Point being is that at 40-50 with kids, wife, etc, $60G isn't really something that will make me all that comfortable. Is this just another reality of the business I have to embrace if I want to continue with it?

As Gomer said, aviation is not a stable place. But the EMS helicopter business isn't going anywhere....because no matter what, people are still going to get sick and hurt. Unless there's a Level I trauma center and a cardiac cath lab in every county, you're still going to need helicopters.

Like he said though, due to changing FAA regs on HEMS, medicare/medicaid reimbursement changes, state laws, etc, programs do change and bases move if they're not making money. An entire flight service just won't close it's doors.....and even if it did, look for the competitor to swoop in and put a helicopter nearby.

Just a good practice, plant yourself near a big city with multiple operators. Or pick an area that's right in the middle of 3-4 bases. I live 30 minutes from my base--if for some reason it closed, the next two are within an hour, and two of the competitor's are within 45 minutes.

Overtime.....depends. If you go on a company's website and see a lot of openings, good chance there's a lot of overtime to be had. Keep in mind though, are there a lot of openings because they're growing fast or is it due to poor working conditions? Also, if a company is union, overtime (even at your own base), may be granted to another pilot in the company with higher seniority. As for me, I've made over double my salary in the last two years with overtime (first come, first served at our place--for now.) You can pretty much bank on a minimum of $5-$10K extra a year in OT, holiday pay, bonuses, cashed out sick/vac time, etc.

As Gomer said, aviation is not a stable place. But the EMS helicopter business isn't going anywhere....because no matter what, people are still going to get sick and hurt. Unless there's a Level I trauma center and a cardiac cath lab in every county, you're still going to need helicopters.

Like he said though, due to changing FAA regs on HEMS, medicare/medicaid reimbursement changes, state laws, etc, programs do change and bases move if they're not making money. An entire flight service just won't close it's doors.....and even if it did, look for the competitor to swoop in and put a helicopter nearby.

Just a good practice, plant yourself near a big city with multiple operators. Or pick an area that's right in the middle of 3-4 bases. I live 30 minutes from my base--if for some reason it closed, the next two are within an hour, and two of the competitor's are within 45 minutes.

Overtime.....depends. If you go on a company's website and see a lot of openings, good chance there's a lot of overtime to be had. Keep in mind though, are there a lot of openings because they're growing fast or is it due to poor working conditions? Also, if a company is union, overtime (even at your own base), may be granted to another pilot in the company with higher seniority. As for me, I've made over double my salary in the last two years with overtime (first come, first served at our place--for now.) You can pretty much bank on a minimum of $5-$10K extra a year in OT, holiday pay, bonuses, cashed out sick/vac time, etc.

Thanks Delorean, that's pretty much what I was looking for. I wasn't under the impression that the flight service would close it's doors, it was the hospital I'm more concerned about- so that definitely gives me more insight. It makes sense about what you said in regard to multiple operators in and area. I've looked at the PA area and have seen several bases and positions open so your comment really makes me wonder. Speaking of big cities, I coincidentally was looking at planting down in Dallas but have yet to find too many bases there (even though I'm sure they're there. Being stuck in Afghanistan and aimlessly looking around online makes my eyes burn after a while of fruitless searching. Thanks for the clarification on the overtime, 50g's just doesn't sound all that alluring but 5-10 more makes it a bit better- double makes it even better. Thanks again for your info, it was a big help.

No, I don't go home on my 12 hours off. It's a 3 hour drive, so I would only have 6 hours at home, if the traffic isn't too bad, and that round trip every day would get really expensive. If I lived close to the job I would, but the job isn't in a place I want to live permanently, plus my house is paid off and I really don't want to take on another mortgage with the economy tanking the way it is.

Overtime tends to come and go. For awhile there was all we could handle and more, because we were two pilots short at the base, but now we're at strength, and it's fairly rare. There is overtime available at other bases, if I wanted to drive for several hours to get it, but I haven't bothered. I suspect it's about the same at other companies. It's sometimes available, but it's not dependable.

There are a number of bases around Dallas, you just have to look at the smaller towns in the suburban and exurban areas. Whether anybody is hiring there, I don't know.