FAA & gather hours with visa

Hey there everybody !!

My name is Nico, I am 17 years old and from Germany. Flying helicopters is the job, I want to do in my life; flying helicopter is just my greatest dream...(I had already 2 flights... and it was just...indescribable)

I am thinking of going to the states after finishing my school degree(then I am 19)... But I am quite unsure which way to take.

I want to do my CHPL and CFI, perhaps CFII. Later I want to convert the CPL in a JAA licence in Germany(to fly here). Bristow Academy would be a possibility for me, but the combined JAA/FAA program takes to much time, so I cant gather as much hours as I could in a 'normal' FAA program. At the moment I tend to Hillsboro Aviation.The big prob for me is the visa. Would it be a possibility to propose for a M1 Visa, for the PHPL, and then a J1(2years) for the CHPL and gather the hours ?(I want to divide the programme, to gather more hours as CFI-> more time ?)

My problem is, I dont know how to get some turbine hours(yep, I know.. first fly..., but it is a big investment for me, so Ive to inform about everything :rolleyes: ) Pity Ive not relatives living in the USA to get a greencard. Are there any companies issuing a new visa for foreign pilots, or do they prefer US citizens ? <_< Heard, offshore is booming at the moment?

In a few years I want to fly EMS in Germany.

Thanks for replies ,

nico :)

Hey Nico,

The M1 for PPL and then the J1 for the rest is a good way to go. Just be aware that you have to leave the US in between the 2 visa's while waiting on the J1 so that will delay your training slightly. Also, if you have more than 50 hours you then become ineligible for the J1, but none of that should be too much of a problem. You can all but forget about work visa's for pilots after the J1 as they're very rare if not non-existant. I should know, I've looked, lots!!! I wouldn't worry too much about the turbine stuff just yet. Focus more on your training and building lots of hours. Best of luck.

Hey there everybody !!

My name is Nico, I am 17 years old and from Germany. Flying helicopters is the job, I want to do in my life; flying helicopter is just my greatest dream...(I had already 2 flights... and it was just...indescribable)

I am thinking of going to the states after finishing my school degree(then I am 19)... But I am quite unsure which way to take.

I want to do my CHPL and CFI, perhaps CFII. Later I want to convert the CPL in a JAA licence in Germany(to fly here). Bristow Academy would be a possibility for me, but the combined JAA/FAA program takes to much time, so I cant gather as much hours as I could in a 'normal' FAA program. At the moment I tend to Hillsboro Aviation.The big prob for me is the visa. Would it be a possibility to propose for a M1 Visa, for the PHPL, and then a J1(2years) for the CHPL and gather the hours ?(I want to divide the programme, to gather more hours as CFI-> more time ?)

My problem is, I dont know how to get some turbine hours(yep, I know.. first fly..., but it is a big investment for me, so Ive to inform about everything :rolleyes: ) Pity Ive not relatives living in the USA to get a greencard. Are there any companies issuing a new visa for foreign pilots, or do they prefer US citizens ? <_< Heard, offshore is booming at the moment?

In a few years I want to fly EMS in Germany.

Thanks for replies ,

nico :)

Hi!

Pretty much the same here. I already spoke to Mrs. Hopkinson at Bristow Academy / FL and she told me it is impossible for them to issue the J1-visa right after the return from your M1. Asked for the reason for this procedure they state that the J1 is a student-visum and no work-allowance to gain money - officially they want to prevent abuse because they can be held responsible for this. But I guess money is also a concern (like always), 'cause you have to pay the entry fee of 3000$ twice (for signing in, insurance, visa processing etc.). I didn't call Hillsboro concerning this matter yet, but I've never heard of any problems there. I even know of some germans taking a two week vacation in Canada after their PPL to get their visa processed at the US-embassay in Vancouver.

By the way: Take a try at the annual Diversity Visa (Greencard) Lottery starting every fall.

The 50hr. mark doesn't seem to be a fix value, as Bristow told me around 50 to 60hrs are okay to be "untrained". There seems to be a bit room left for interpretation. Fact is: Your flight school wants to get the most out of you (in terms of money) and they pay much for issuing you the J1 - would be rather stupid to pay that much for a student that leaves after 1 or 2 month (I bet 60 hrs are alright if you do the M1 and J1 at Bristow, but 50 hrs. could be already too much, if you did the M1 training at Hillsboro ;) )

Greets