VR FORUM now BACK UP!

Howdy all,

Maintenance and upgrade completed. Forum back up now.

OK welcome back yall!

As most of you know, I recently took over VR. I promised a new look to VR but no changes to the community, i.e. Forums, Chat, Blogs. After months of work modifying the "portal" side of VR, it seemed like this Forum was getting slower from a page loading standpoint. After many calls to Hostway (our web host) I found out that they were cramming our database on to a server with a sh*t load of others. They were also having an issue with our server. Not acceptable!

Anyway, a few days ago, I made a command decision to leave the long time host and go with the company who invented this very forum format....Invision Power Board (IPB). Even though the move increased the cost of hosting VR by a factor of 6x, it came with free upgrades and support of the Forum, Chat, and Blogs for which IPB invented. I would rather have the IPB gurus on our side and I am willing to pay more for performance, reliability, and support.

Perhaps this is too much information, but as the forum owner, I enjoy sharing my thought process with the people who matter the most in any website forum community.........it's visitors! Feedback, good or bad is welcome.

The molding of VR, with the intent to give all of it's visitors the information that they are looking for, thus far has been a tough transition road this past week. However, as the helicopter world changes around us, I hope to keep VR a very relevant source of information that HELPS folks in achieving their goals. With that in mind, improvements are still ahead and I certainly appreciate your patience for hanging in there the last few days while we made some needed changes.

Thanks again! GomerPylot......you were restless and I hope you came back!

Anyone know where the link to contribute to become a VIP member is? There is a link just below the "General Helicopter Forum" link that says; "To contribute to the Vertical Reference Website click here" but it doesn't work for me. I figure I'll give a little back to help with the cause!

Anyone know where the link to contribute to become a VIP member is? There is a link just below the "General Helicopter Forum" link that says; "To contribute to the Vertical Reference Website click here" but it doesn't work for me. I figure I'll give a little back to help with the cause!

you have the right link.

there are a few bugs to be worked out, keep checking the link and thanks for supporting VR

:angry: Still... The RSS feeds for the site are not working, and haven't worked since the site's 'facelift'. At least not for me.

Really? Works perfect for me. What browser you using?

Thanks for pointing that out. I have been thinking about changing that. Rather than you making a contribution to VR and I give you access to the VIP section, I have been thinking about this:

You contribute to VR (most people donated $20 thru paypal before I took over) and I upgrade you to VIP member which gives you access to the VIP member forum but here is the twist........I donate 100% of the money to a helicopter oriented scholarship fund. Either I create one, or donate the $ on behalf of the VR members to HAI or PHPA or who ever has an aviation oriented scholorship fund. I would love to do a VR Scholarship fund, but I just do not have the time at the moment to put together all of the criteria and rules needed to govern it's distribution fairly.

Ps. Contributions can be made via Paypal to paypal@verticalreference.com. Put your VR username and "UPGRADE TO VIP" in the message. Once I see the contribution in the VR Paypal account, I will upgrade you to VIP Member.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have been thinking about changing that. Rather than you making a contribution to VR and I give you access to the VIP section, I have been thinking about this:

You contribute to VR (most people donated $20 thru paypal before I took over) and I upgrade you to VIP member which gives you access to the VIP member forum but here is the twist........I donate 100% of the money to a helicopter oriented scholarship fund. Either I create one, or donate the $ on behalf of the VR members to HAI or PHPA or who ever has an aviation oriented scholorship fund. I would love to do a VR Scholarship fund, but I just do not have the time at the moment to put together all of the criteria and rules needed to govern it's distribution fairly.

Ps. Contributions can be made via Paypal to paypal@verticalreference.com. Put your VR username and "UPGRADE TO VIP" in the message. Once I see the contribution in the VR Paypal account, I will upgrade you to VIP Member.

a VR schoolarship would be a great idea with parameters for eligibility i would think it is something that can be put together down the road.

ya got my vote for that ;)

Lyn,

MAN-O-MAN the site is blazin fast now! Thank you Sir for the hard work and effort you and the other mods have made to improve and kee this forum going. Bravo. :)

P.S., the white borders issue is solved and everything looks as it did before, and did I mention much FASTER now? ;) :D

I'm using the Veritical Reference "http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/index.php?act=rssout&id=2" link to feed my Thunderbird 2.0.016 mail client. The newsreader hasn't worked since this topic was issued.

Still not working. Works with all other newsgroups I was subscribed to before the changes... Thanks for looking into it.

Really? Works perfect for me. What browser you using?