Here is a question that is giving me some problems. While on an IFR flight plan you request and receive a VFR-on-top clearance from ATC. Does this allow you to change altitudes to stay VFR (provided you stay above the minimum airway altitude)? Otherwise what would be the point in requesting a VFR-on-top clearance if @ your current IFR altitude you are already clear of clouds.

Here is a question that is giving me some problems. While on an IFR flight plan you request and receive a VFR-on-top clearance from ATC. Does this allow you to change altitudes to stay VFR (provided you stay above the minimum airway altitude)? Otherwise what would be the point in requesting a VFR-on-top clearance if @ your current IFR altitude you are already clear of clouds.

You may adjust your altitudes without notifying ATC when in VFR on top as long as it is in accordance with VFR cruising altitudes as it is related to heading. You may freely change altitudes, BUT if you notify ATC that you are leaving an altitude, you may now not go bak to that altitude unless you get permission.

One reason for requesting VFR on top even if at your IFR assigned altitude it is clear as far as the eye can see would be to escape some rough air that maybe a few hundred feet above would be smooth. Another, I THINK, is that doing so would eliminate having to make required reporting point calls, on this I could be confusing it with other info, so if someone corrects me on this.....

Yes. That is the whole point for this clearance. You request this in lieu of an assigned altitude to put if in FAA terms. You must comply with any altitude restrictions of course and it's a good idea to let them know if you plan to change your altitude up there. Remember though that you're to hold a vfr "cruise alt" while operating under inst. flt. rules.

Edited by rotormandan

One reason for requesting VFR on top even if at your IFR assigned altitude it is clear as far as the eye can see would be to escape some rough air that maybe a few hundred feet above would be smooth. Another, I THINK, is that doing so would eliminate having to make required reporting point calls, on this I could be confusing it with other info, so if someone corrects me on this.....
I've requested On-top clearences for exactly this reason. Flying along and not being able to hold an altitude within 100' due to turbulence. So I requested a block of altitude and the controller responded with, "Why don't you just go VFR-on-top" It was one of those, Oh yeah I forgot that little rule existed moments.