Flight training

Hi everyone i'm planning to move to new york next summer and want to acquire my pilots licence. I have no pilot experience but have enjoyed many flights. I hope to be in the queens area of ny so im looking advice on flight schools int that area.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Phil.

Hi Phil, You have 4 options that I know about that are quite accesible to the queens area but none are really easy from there. Helicopter Flight Training Inc at MacArthur Airport in Ronkonkoma is about an hour drive from the Queens area depending on traffic of course. Pegasus Helicopters in Lindin NJ is also about an hour drive. Nassau Helicopters in Princeton, NJ is about a 1.5 hour drive. And, Wings air up in White Plains, NY should be about a 1-1.5 hour drive. I work in one of those schools and have worked in 2 of the others part time. I won't voice my opinions about them in a public forum as I still have some good friends & former students working at them. PM me if you like and I can help point you in the right direction.

There is also a small school at Republic Airport in Farmingdale - about 35 minutes from Queens (double that if you're driving out there in the afternoon). I HIGHLY recommend the guy I fly with there. You'll be hard pressed to find a better instructor. PM me if you're interested and I'll give you his number.

As little off topic, but does anyone know of any schools that LIMIT the # of hours a CFI can accrue before they are asked to "move on" making room for newer CFI's?

I'm a "newly minted" CFI and "shopping" for potential employers for the next few years. I don't want to work somewhere and hit 1,000 hours and get laid off. Especially since 1,000 no longer means anything. 1,500 seems to be the new 1,000.

As little off topic, but does anyone know of any schools that LIMIT the # of hours a CFI can accrue before they are asked to "move on" making room for newer CFI's?

I'm a "newly minted" CFI and "shopping" for potential employers for the next few years. I don't want to work somewhere and hit 1,000 hours and get laid off. Especially since 1,000 no longer means anything. 1,500 seems to be the new 1,000.

I've never heard of that happening. Just like any other business, it costs a flight school money every time an employee quits. I see no reason why a school would want to lose an experienced CFI in order to hire an inexperienced one. The bottom line is that staff turnover costs money.

You are in a rare position if you are truly able to "shop" for where you want to work right now. Many CFIs out there are desperate for ANY job ANYWHERE.

Congratulations on getting your CFI!

LOL, yes, using the term "shopping" for a CFI job is a true misnomer. There ARE no jobs out there...at least not yet. But one can still "peruse" the schools.

In my area a flight school just recently put a cap on the amount of hours a CFI can accrue then they are "invited to leave". It put a number of high time, very qualified CFI's out on the streets in what is probably the worse job market for low time heli pilots ever.

I would be interested in finding out what other schools (if any) has such restrictions, and then make a mental note NOT to apply there.

Hello Phil,

If you are moving to NYC and want to become a Helicopter Pilot, you should come to Ace Pilot Training which is only a little over an hour west of New York City. Here's why:

Ace Pilot Training has one of the best Helicopter Pilot Schools in the Industry. Our FAA Certified Helicopter Program will cost far less than standard schools and will give you experience that will make you a competent and safe helicopter pilot. We operate only the best equipment, Shiny Young Schweizer 300CBi's, and hire only the best "Ace" Instructors.

Ace Pilot Training is ideally located an hour west of New York City and the Jersey Shore and nestled in the beautiful Lehigh Valley which is only minutes away from ski resorts. Our unique location allows our students to fully understand the art of flying helicopters. Each student gains invaluable experience in our nearby Pocono Mountains and not-too-distant New York Airspace, the busiest airspace in the world. Our students also admire the freedom of being able to ski the slopes, walk the streets of NYC or enjoy the beaches on the world famous Jersey Shore after a great day of flight training!

We offer clean and comfortable, low cost housing nearby to our foreign and domestic students if desired.

If you're looking for the best school with some of the best rates in the best location to gain experience, go to Ace Pilot and become an "Ace!"

Now that you got the standard skit that we tell people, let me know if you have any questions via email (acehelischool@gmail.com) or message me back here on Verticalreference.com. We also have a facebook page ("Ace Pilot") and a Facebook Group ("Learn to Fly Helicopters"). Our website has much published info: www.acepilot.com

Live the dream!

"H/V"