Question for 67november

Over the past week or so I have noticed what seems to be a Civilian training operation at KSTP. Most early evenings a pair of 206's are taking off, flying for a short time then landing. It seems that sometimes they enter the pattern. And other times they just fly over the river and land. They seem to be doing this for a couple hours each night.

Any idea who they are?

No not spraying.

I live on a bluff that overlooks the Mississippi river and Downtown St. Paul. KSTP is the airport most used for personal and Corp aircraft. It is also the location of the MN Guard Helo base. So we get a lot of Military fly overs.

The flight profile was way to high for spraying. More like training on how to take off, enter a short pattern and then land. But what surpised me was that they are using two 206's painted white and blue. And they go at it for 2-3 hours a night for over a week. I have never seen them go much more than a mile or so from the airport. And they never seem to be in the air for more than about 5 minutes. As far As I know there are not any flight schools in the area that operate any turbine ships.

We also have good HEMS coverage, so I don't think it was a new HEMS operator going into the area.

Just seems odd to use a turbine ship for such limited training. Over and over again.

I was in KSTP last week training with the State Patrol, flying an L4 and 407 but their helicopters aren't blue and white. We started around 4 in the afternoon and then did a couple of NVG flights, finishing around 10pm.

I guess your neighbors aren't that helicopter friendly as we managed to generate 15 noise complaints Monday night........The winds were all messed up which meant that we ended up flying over the bluff where you live. Sorry for any inconvenience caused...........

Hello,

No problems with me. Even my dog likes to watch you fly over. Too bad you don't do ride-alongs.

But the lady who lives behind me complains about everything. With all of the Guard ships coming and going, you'd think that people would get used to it. Plus your a whole lot quieter than some of the old Lear and Gulfstreams taking off.

Were you the Pilot that assisted SPPD about 6 months back on the East side? I think it was a Sunday around 0100. Lot of hovering, and nightsun activity.

I often monitor your ships on MINSEF. (I'm a part time Dispatcher.)

Have the ships been upgraded to the 800 Mhz system?

Hello,

No problems with me. Even my dog likes to watch you fly over. Too bad you don't do ride-alongs.

But the lady who lives behind me complains about everything. With all of the Guard ships coming and going, you'd think that people would get used to it. Plus your a whole lot quieter than some of the old Lear and Gulfstreams taking off.

Were you the Pilot that assisted SPPD about 6 months back on the East side? I think it was a Sunday around 0100. Lot of hovering, and nightsun activity.

I often monitor your ships on MINSEF. (I'm a part time Dispatcher.)

Have the ships been upgraded to the 800 Mhz system?

I'm not a State Trooper, nor State Trooper pilot. I work for Bell, so we were there just for the week getting the guys up to speed on FADEC failure, hydraulic failures, engine failures etc.

As for the whether the helicopters are ugraded to the 800Mhz system I have absolutley no idea I'm afraid.

Over the past week or so I have noticed what seems to be a Civilian training operation at KSTP. Most early evenings a pair of 206's are taking off, flying for a short time then landing. It seems that sometimes they enter the pattern. And other times they just fly over the river and land. They seem to be doing this for a couple hours each night.

Any idea who they are?

Hey Dave, Where ya been hiding yourself?

I drive by there on 52 going to and from work, I've not seen anything from my view point of a new operation. maybe a swing by mite answer the question.

Hello,

I was thinking about stopping by some night and finding out. Thought you might know.

Been pretty busy running the business. Paying down debt so I have the cash for training.

How did your hunt go?

Hey Dave

The hunt was a bust, saw a Hen on Tuesday Monring and that was it for the group.

I'm currently prepping for a camping/fishing trip to Savanna Portage over memorial weekend

let us know if you find out anything.