WHERE'S THE WESTLAND FORUM?

All of my helo bubbas from when I was in the Royal Navy started out in Gazelles during their primary helicopter training.  The Army also has a helicopter demonstration team that uses 4 gazelles and 1 Lynx for airshows.  It was actually an impressive routine they did.  

MD600,

What do you do with the gazelle?

Gummy,

The Lynx is a real spoiler.  Don't ever fly one unless you can own it.  I had to go from Lynx back to Sea Kings again and life was never the same.  When I flew the Lynx, the RN wasn't so restrictive as they are now so we could actually do an impressive air show routine.  It had two claims to fame, one being the solid titanium head and the other being the westland star flight control configuration.  Apparently, the flight test engineers had flown it to about 5 g's and reckoned it could handle 7.  It can do a full flying loop without batting an eye.  Part of the Army routine was a back flip from a hover.  It scares you just to watch it.  A few years ago, a Dutch Lynx had the head disintegrate and it grounded the fleet for quite a while.  I'm not sure if they're even over that one yet.  In any event, I had a blast flying it.  Got about 800 hours over the course of 3 years.

Dave H