Goodbye to ABLE

Goldy

I guess I am two weeks behind the times. Since I live in LA, we dont get a lot of OC news, but I just found out that they have shut down the ABLE Air unit that used to serve Newport Beach PD. Couple of those pilots used to be on VR from time to time.

Sorry to see it go, next is an auction of the 3 EC120's.............its a sad day.

http://articles.dailypilot.com/2011-06-30/news/tn-dpt-0701-able-20110630_1_police-helicopter-ec120-david-ketchum

Goldy

Uhmm, yeah, where was I as well....last I read some of the 'wealthier' cits in Newport were trying to sport the bill to save ABLE - at least the Newport half of it. I think a pizza 'n beer or something is still in order for Jeff & Rob and the rest. HBPD Aero are no slouches by any means with their operation, but it's still not their turf. Looking more and more like smaller communities are going to have to go with a shared support model, like FAST with Pasadena and the Foothill communities.

Gonna be strange landing at the Signature pads for refuel and only seeing The Duke and no Eagle.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Uhmm, yeah, where was I as well....last I read some of the 'wealthier' cits in Newport were trying to sport the bill to save ABLE - at least the Newport half of it. I think a pizza 'n beer or something is still in order for Jeff & Rob and the rest. HBPD Aero are no slouches by any means with their operation, but it's still not their turf. Looking more and more like smaller communities are going to have to go with a shared support model, like FAST with Pasadena and the Foothill communities.

Gonna be strange landing at the Signature pads for refuel and only seeing The Duke and no Eagle.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

We talked about going down and visting those guys a hundred times....kick my own ass for not doing it. I'm up for a beer on their day off.

Even FAST, PAS PD and Glen/BRB are now sharing resources. Trying not to duplicate efforts. We even had BUR PD airship back us up on a party call in Altadena last week, never seen that before!

OH BTW, your wife says get your own FB account!

Well gents it was a sad day indeed. You can catch up on some of it on FB. Search Airborne Law Enforcement. Sadly this had nothing to do with economics and everything to do with politics. A new city council member is using Costa Mesa as "ground zero" for pension reform. His words not mine. They have pink slipped over half of the city work force. The PD had 164 officers 2 years ago. They are going to lay off officers until they get to 131. Rob and the other pilots have been sent back to patrol. My agency has contracted with OCSD and I started there July 1. It is extremely quiet at the airport without EAGLE on the ramp or in the surface area. You can PM me if you want more details.

Well gents it was a sad day indeed. You can catch up on some of it on FB. Search Airborne Law Enforcement. Sadly this had nothing to do with economics and everything to do with politics. A new city council member is using Costa Mesa as "ground zero" for pension reform. His words not mine. They have pink slipped over half of the city work force. The PD had 164 officers 2 years ago. They are going to lay off officers until they get to 131. Rob and the other pilots have been sent back to patrol. My agency has contracted with OCSD and I started there July 1. It is extremely quiet at the airport without EAGLE on the ramp or in the surface area. You can PM me if you want more details.

Jeff- good to hear from ya. I was late to the party finding out about this a few weeks after it happened. Is the sale of the 3 ships for real? That would be a real loss as it would be tougher to ever restart the program down the road.

Good to hear from ya.

Goldy