TSO's and GPS

Soooo, just trying to sort all of this stuff out. Please let me know if I'm understanding this correctly. So even though it is being phased out TSO-129 is for supplemental GPS en route, and approaches but you must have backup equip. TSO-145 is for supplemental WAAS GPS en route, and approaches but again you must have back up equip. And the mother load is TSO-146 which is Stand Alone WAAS GPS enroute and approaches. Is this correct?

I'm not sure of the exact technical aspects, but I do know that the FAA has a major concern about mnps, especially on departure. At big class B airports part of the takeoff clearance is the tower asks the crew if they have the proper RNAV loaded into their GPS, and must get an affirmative reply before issuing the takeoff clearance. Also, it's not legal to just load the individual points on the departure, if for whatever reason you can't get the departure loaded otherwise.

Sorry, not really what I was looking for. I was asking more about the capabilities of different GPS TSO certifications. And how you find out which TSO your GPS is certified for if that makes sense. For example, we just got a heli with a G500H but it is linked to a 530 GPS so we would have to figure out if that 530 is TSO 145 or 146 capable. Hence my original question.

• 3 years later...

Searching this same topic while creating my CFII Lessons I came across an article with a great explanation:

"To use GPS for navigation, the equipment must be certified in accordance with TSO-C129, “Airborne Supplemental Navigation Equipment Using the GPS,” and the installation must be done in accordance with AC 20-138, “Airworthiness Approval of GPS Navigation Equipment for Use as a VFR and IFR Navigation System,” or AC 20-130A, “Airworthiness Approval of Navigation or Flight Management Systems Integrating Multiple
Navigation Sensors.”
For WAAS, the equipment must meet the requirements of TSO-C145a, “Airborne Navigation Sensors Using the GPS Augmented by the Wide Area Augmentation System,” or, to qualify as the primary source of navigation, TSO-C146a, “Stand-Alone Airborne
Navigation Equipment Using the GPS Augmented by the Wide Area Augmentation System.”
Most general aviation WAAS receivers comply with TSO-C146a, which applies to panel-mounted navigation equipment (as opposed to sensors providing data to a flight management system)."
Pretty sure that's what this post is about, it totally answered my interest...