Some Useful Things to Take with You?

eagle5

How do you like the SPOT GPS?

The question was for someone else, but I had the SPOT system, and carried it overseas extensively (as well as domestically). I originally got it because of its global coverage. I was working in a hostile location, often out of contact with support, and thought it might be a useful backup. It wasn't. I also received a "flat stanley" project from a gradeschool, in which I was supposed to carry a figure of a boy around, and photograph it in different places. The SPOT seemed like an ideal way for kids in the class to track the flat stanley character, because the SPOT has a feature available that leaves "spider tracks" online where the kids can see the locations and path of the character. It's also got a press button feature that allows the user to send a location message.

I managed to get one hit domestically, and I think I might have had one overseas. None in the hostile locations, but I also had zero success in Africa, Russia, China, Alaska, Canada, Europe, Afghanistan and most of Eurasia including Pakistan and India, the Pacific, Atlantic, and South and Central America. Nothing. Nada.

I cancelled the service, but they continued to bill me for several years. I called each time to cancel, then found they'd billed me again. It took about three years to get them to stop.

I wasn't particularly impressed.