SFAR-73 Enhanced Training in Autorotation Procedures?

So I am getting an SFAR endorsement for the R44 and the CFI I am working with has a very different ideas about "enhanced training in autorotation procedures" than the CFI I worked with to get my R22 endorsement. Where is "enhanced training in autorotation procedures" defined? Does it include, zero airspeed autos, low level autos, ???? I would just like to know for my future reference as a CFI. What's your reference?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

I've been to the RHC Safety Course a few times, and each time we did something different with respect to autos. I think its just whatever your particular CFI weants to do, because I've never seen a "specific" definition?

Personally, I like to to zero airspeed ones, with some pedal turns and some sideways autoing. Minimum rate ones are cool too, as well as full touchdowns with no forward slide.

So I am getting an SFAR endorsement for the R44 and the CFI I am working with has a very different ideas about "enhanced training in autorotation procedures" than the CFI I worked with to get my R22 endorsement. Where is "enhanced training in autorotation procedures" defined? Does it include, zero airspeed autos, low level autos, ???? I would just like to know for my future reference as a CFI. What's your reference?

Thanks in advance

What were each of the instructors ideas about this? What did the old one do compared to the new one?

My CFI for my R22 endorsement discussed rotor management and we only went as far as 180 autos. For my 44 enforcement we have done zero airspeed. I appreciated the zero airspeed, having just read "The Little Book of Autorotations". It was good, because the possibility of such an airspeed was never discussed in my 6 years of flying for the Army.

Just 180 autos? That sucks! For "enhanced" autos he should of AT LEAST gone through minimum rate and max glide with you.

I'm sure that was part of it at some point. Kind of hard to nail your spot repeatedly without making some kind of adjustment to the flight path via either s-turns or stretching out the glide distance.

I'm sure that was part of it at some point. Kind of hard to nail your spot repeatedly without making some kind of adjustment to the flight path via either s-turns or stretching out the glide distance.

Well sure given enough altitude you could do all sorts of cool sh*t!

Enter the auto at 65kts, get the rpm down to 90% and the speed up to 75kts hold that for a few, then make a 180 turn to the left, back the speed to 53kts and keep the rpm at 90%, after a bit bring it back to 102% and 65kts, hold that for a bit, then back the speed doen to 0kts, then pedal turn to the right, then side step left, then bring it back to 65kts. As you get closer to your spot push in left pedal and come in sideways (this is awesome if your door is off), then right pedal to re-align, flare everything off, and pull the collective for a nice vertical touch!

You could log that as just a 180. :D