IFR Certification

jjsemperfi

Ive never flown a coupled approach in a helicopter, but I would guess that it has to do with the limitations of the flight director.

I believe it has to do with the autopilot, not so much the flight director. Usually when it refers to a coupled approach, the autopilot is flying the aircraft and when it is referred to as uncoupled the pilot is flying the aircraft. An approach without the flight director is referred to as a 'raw data' approach.

Hope that helps.

We're probably just talking semantics here, but let me clarify what I said above...

The Flight Director is what "couples" the autopilot system to the navigation system. Without the Flight Director, the autopilot is just 2-axis cruise control. A pilot can use the autopilot system when shooting an approach either with the Flight Director (coupled) or without (uncoupled).

PF,

You are correct it is semantics, In my experience coupled has always referred to the autopilot being coupled. I have operated aircraft with a 3 axis autopilot with NO flight director. If there is a flight director, when you turn the autopilot on the flight director comes on. However, you can use the flight director without using the autopilot.