KSNA Tips?

Hey guys,

Headed to KSNA soon for an overnight. Planning to hangar at Signature. As my first time into KSNA, I read all the noise abatement procedures but didn't see any specific considerations for helicopters. For you SoCal guys, any specifics for approaches and departures? In one video I saw an approach from the north where the helicopter crossed mid field at 500 and made a steep approach to the southern Signature ramp parallel 19L.

I'll also be continuing on down to KCRQ the next day which seems self explanatory with the Pendleton restricted areas. I appreciate the advise.

There is no real noise abatement procedures for helicopters, just don't set off the sensors after hours or you will pay. KSNA is very helicopter friendly and the contollers are great. It depends on how busy they are. "North" (aka west) arrivals will normally be a mid field approach as describbed or direct landing signature if there is no immediate traffic. Helicopters squawk 4300, report Mile Square Park, follow the I-405 in, report 1 mile (South Coast Plaza), cross mid and land. No need to contact Clearance Delivery or Ground for helicopters.

West departures can be direct or follow runway heading and they will call your west turn.

Pendelton is easy, but it is not uncommon for them to deny access. If this happens, you can go around offshore or over when weather perms. We normally carry flotation on that flight for the offshore possibity. Pendelton's radios suck, so dont be surprised if you have difficuties contacting them or have difficuties understanding their transmissions.

You can PM me if you need more info if needed.

• Like 1