Market Value

fleman202

Right now our 2008 R44 II has about 1300 hours on it. We are trying to decide the best course of action, keep it for several more years and go through the overhaul, or try to sell it now and get the most value out of it?

Anyone have any personal experience with decisions like this?

I am also trying to find actual overhaul costs for the Robinson, not just website numbers. What has it actually cost guys?

Any advice would be helpful.

• Like 1

With five years left the market price begins to plummet and unfortunately so do the offers. You didn't note what you use it for, if for training, I would use it to the end. If for personal use, do you plan to keep flying it the next 12 years to 17 years?

You can look up the Robinson factory overhaul price and that will be just about the highest price one would pay. But keep in mind, that is not for a new engine, but an overhauled one, with a new 12 year extension.

If you go for a local approved shop overhaul, you can do it for less and get a Lycoming factory remanufactured engine with zero hours. Again there are variables, do you need a paint job, do you need the newer rubber bladder tanks and so on.

If you go for a local shop overhaul, get a parts quote from Robinson for everything but the engine, get a quote from Lycoming for a remanufactured engine, and a labor quote from your shop. (Don't forget to add in shipping costs at about $5K and taxes). You can probably do it for $10K-$30K less. Labor costs should be in the range of $20-25K.

• Like 1

To add to my post, what I needed to mention was the reason you won't find a guaranteed overhaul price or a fixed price for an overhaul, whether at Robinson or a local shop, is because it is assumed that when you send in parts that are to be overhauled, that part has nothing wrong with it and can be easily overhauled. If they find it rusty, cracked, AD'd, or worn out beyond what is considered normal, they will charge you extra for a new part.

Some noted that if you had an AD on your engine's crankshaft, they would add $20K to the price.

Also note the overhaul usually only covers just what is needed for the overhaul. Anything else found wrong that needs repair will be charged extra for.

So if you sent in 10 helicopters for the 12 year, 2200 hour overhaul, you probably could expect to see 10 different costs.

The best rule to follow is to assume you will only get back about 50% or less of the core charges.

Overall though, I have felt I was treated well and I was always happy with the results.

You end up with almost a new helicopter and of course the market price goes up accordingly.