Top rated: what is most valuable on a CV?

AMM

Hi All,

I’m just getting to the end of my initial training CPL(H) in New Zealand. The next step is outside of NZ, maybe Asia (but it could be anywhere in the world). I have the opportunity to do various ratings before I leave. That could be night, instrument, turbine etc., or machines in addition to those I’m already rated on (currently: R22, R44, Cabri G2). But, as ever money is limited and I want to get the most bang for my buck. So I was wondering:
What are the most valuable ratings for a newly qualified CPL(H)?
This may be dependent on the type of work, and the place I end up. But, I’m interested in people’s experiences and views on what ratings are absolutely necessary for different types of heli jobs, and what makes someone most employable. Especially at the start of a career.
Thx.
AMM

• Like 1

Having over 300 hours flying at night as a low timer myself, I find it fascinating that you guys separate night into a "rating", as I have no such rating.

That being said, here in the States the CFI, Instrument, and CFII would be your next steps if you desire employment.

Don't pay for a turbine endorsement. Your employer will pay for that when you show them you're worth the effort. Any training school that says getting this is the best way to secure employment as a low time pilot is to be steered well clear of.

In Aust and NZ there is not much night or instrument flying unless you're going offshore or have enough time and quals to get into rescue, but the IREX is useful to set you up and to be able to apply for some jobs.

If you do have right to work in the US then at least 100hrs of night and 50 hrs of instrument is the norm now for mid-time work, as well as your instructor ratings.

But in my opinion, as a low timer, you'd be better off saving your money for a road trip to find work and to live off the usual low pay. Your attitude at 150hrs will go a lot further than a rating for something you probably won't need.

• Like 1