Enlisted to civilian rotary pilot school to WO

I'm currently 6 years into my enlistment and with my school drop I'll be out September 2017. I'm accepted to a college which offers an Aviation Technology Helicopter Associate in Science degree. Completing this I will hold a CFII. Now my plan is to drop a WO packet and fly. I've wanted to fly sense my first deployment.

Questions-

Do you think this is a strong route?

Is there a way to favor which aircraft you get assigned?

What's the likely hood of my packet getting accepted over a candidate with no prior flight or military experience?

LORs from non aviation officers worth putting into my packet?

Thank you

Tim Keene

One possible direction to go is if the school is located near a AASF is to join an Reserve Component aviation unit, especially if you have a current aviation MOS, or even an RC unit near an RC aviation unit.

No break in service. Continue earning points to retirement. Tuition assistance available. Interact with the unit that could send you to flight school; LORs from senior warrants in the unit carry more water than rando officers from AD.

When a guard or reserve unit sends you to flight school, you are going to be assigned to the airframe that the unit has.

I think being a part-timer is just about the perfect moonlighting gig for a civilian pilot. You just have to get through Rucker before you get to the 1000 hour mark, because by then you aren't going to be willing to take a year or two away from your civilian career.

One thing though, you'll want to live within easy commuting distance to the airfield.