From the Philippines to the world

Hi everyone,

I am an italian citizen, and hold a Commercial Helicopter Pilot Licence issued in the Philippines. While I was in Europe last summer, I tried unsuccessfully to get it converted into a JAA licence. The only option was to re-do the whole training, courses, exams, etc.

I am now considering converting it first to a FAA licence, since the Filipino licence is convertible to FAA,

then getting the FAA to JAA conversion.

My questions are:

1-To convert from Filipino to FAA, how many top-up flight hours would be needed? Which exams would I have to pass?

2-As I am in the Philippines, I assume the closest/cheapest place to do this would be California. However, would anyone recommend Australia or New Zealand instead?

3-Does anyone know of a california flight school (or Australian/NZ if this is an option) that can give the JAA package, as well as the conversion service described in pt 1?

Thanks for your help,

S

Hello Stefano, sorry I can't give you any info regarding your question but I had a couple for you if you don't mind. I'm doing my PPL(H) in Hong Kong and a few weeks ago I did a dive trip to Puerto Galera. On the last day I was there I saw a R44 taking off not far from where I had been staying, just curious if that may have been you? I can't imagine there's too many Robbies in the Philipinnes. Also, were you flying commercially there? If so, I would love to get in touch with you to discuss the helicopter market there.

Just remembered, Hawaii has some flight schools that may be able to convert your license. I looked into doing training there a few years ago but didn't go any further than internet research. Gaum is probably the closest US territory but not sure if there's any schools there.

Well, in keeping with the 'thread hijack' theme...

Klasmartin, where abouts do you stay in PG? I'm a regular at Lalaguna with Frank and Donno. Have dived with Atlantis as well (with the late John Bennet -- great guy and great diver).

Favourite dive-Deep Kilima Drift or Secret Reef / Sweetlips Corner 55m for 25mins

Gnarliest dive - 100m off Verdi Island

Longest dive-Off the point, 124mins, Took in Deep Atols, Canyons, Shark Cave and ended up on Pink Wall!

Anyway, PM me. Maybe we can get together for a beer.

Joker

Stefano,

As to your question, I am pretty sure that you will find the same problems trying to convert an FAA CPL to JAA as you found trying to convert your Filippines CPL to JAA.

I need to look at the regulations again. Hopefully someone else will be able to chip in and give you more information...if not PM me and I'll tell you what I know.

Joker

Hi Klasmartin and Joker,

No, that wasn't me! I have completed my training but I'm not yet practising professionally. My intention is in fact to set up a helicopter services company here in the Philippines, and as I'm trying to solve this conversion issue, I plan to start the feasibility study as soon as I can. I'll be posting something on that subject soon.

Not many R22s but quite a few R44s. Bell206 and Ecureuil 350 are the most common.

There were references to schools that give both FAA and JAA in a note posted somewhere else in this site, one in Missouri, the other in Florida. If I can't find any closer school offering similar double programmes, they remain fallback options.

Hawaii: not much there unfortunately. Guam even less.

joker: you are probably right about the difficulty in getting anything converted into JAA. But at least the option seems to exist as these 2 schools offer it. The issue seems to be price and time. Details are welcome. I'll PM you once I've exhausted the online resources and remain with questions.