Lookinf for so info on picking a flight school

Hello everyone,

I am 26 years old and I am almost ready to start my helicopter flight training..I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on a good flight school in the Dallas FT.Worth area.I have looked at a couple and like them very much but dont have alot of info from people about the 2 other than what I have got from the schools.

One of the schools trains you in schweizer 300 cb and the other in R22's . They both told me that there type helicopter was the preferred one to be trained in these days.Now I know that they are mostly just saying that to get me to join there school but I was courius as to what yall thought.. Thank you to all that respond

david

Hello everyone,

I am 26 years old and I am almost ready to start my helicopter flight training..I was wondering if anyone could give me any ideas on a good flight school in the Dallas FT.Worth area.I have looked at a couple and like them very much but dont have alot of info from people about the 2 other than what I have got from the schools.

One of the schools trains you in schweizer 300 cb and the other in R22's . They both told me that there type helicopter was the preferred one to be trained in these days.Now I know that they are mostly just saying that to get me to join there school but I was courius as to what yall thought.. Thank you to all that respond

david

Personally i fly the 300 and like it alot, i've steered clear of the r22s mostly because i've heard they auto like a brick. Also, the 300 is a better starting point from my point of view because you learn to manage the throttle. In the r22 its governed, so while it decreases the workload, you never really get that rpm management experience, and you may regret it later. Just my 2 cents

Chris

I've flown both helos, and I prefer the 300CB/i over the R22. I feel this way because the 300 has, in my opinion, a superior rotor system, is more stable, has a more powerful engine, and is a great baseline trainer as it has no governor or hydraulics. You do truly learn the meaning of power management and the capabilities of a helo. Plus at 5'10, for some reason I always felt squeezed into a Robbie versus having plenty of room in the 300.

The R22 is sleeker, has a governor, and is a little faster... but that's not really pertinent items for a training aircraft. Contrary to popular belief, I thought the R22 autorotated just fine. The flare and recovery portion I was not used too, but not bad. The big deal with me is how touchy an R22 can be. Compared to other aircraft, to me, it is not structurally as sound as other aircraft and flies as such. There's a common saying about R22's: "An R22 is a perfectly safe aircraft as long as you know how to fly it." I can understand that comment after flight training, but when it comes to student training, that is definitely not satisfactory. Plus, I never really did like the T-bar cyclic... but that's just me:)

You truly will be okay in either aircraft... Robbie instructors are required to have more initial experience before they can teach in them, so don't worry about your personal safety so much as training value. Robbies are usually cheaper per hour, but in many cases, it takes students less time to feel comfortable in a 300. Both translate just fine to more advanced aircraft and you'll definitely impress the ladies flying either;) Personally though, I enjoyed flying the 300 much more than the R22, but if I had to fly an R22 again, I would.

I hope I've helped

I've flown both the R22 and the 300 with the majority of my time in the R22. I like them both. I like the R22 a bit beeter only because I've got more time in it. I don't have a problem managing rpm and throttle in the 300. The 330 is slow and takes forever to get anywhere but is more stable and easier to fly. The R22 can really get moving so you've got to stay ahead of it. It's twitchy, but not bad.. It does require a light touch, especially on the tail rotor as it's very effective.

Autos in either are pretty straightforward and wind helps in either case. RPM control in the R22 in an auto is a bit tougher, but not overly difficult. (I had trouble with the entry in both ships initially)

Most of my experience in the 300 is under the hood as I work on my instrument rating and the trim coolie on the cyclic sure makes it easy to remove all the stick pressures and maintain the desired flight attitude.

The R22 looks "cooler" but I don't care what the ship looks like, as long as it's been well maintained.

Now the R44.... That's a tale for another thread. All I'm going to say is "NICE helicopter."