Getting the endorsement to take the written...

Well here is my situation.

I've been training since July of last year. Have about 43 hours total. Have completed all the flight requirments for my checkride exept for the 3 hours of prep needed for the checkride. I'm so close to get my PPL I can taste it.

OK, so it's winter here in MD, a mild one though, and my instructor has like only 2 or 3 students and all of us are part time. So he went down to FL to teach for a bit at the schools headquarters. Can't blame him in a sense, he's got to get paid. He has been down there for a month now and will be for at minimum another month. I wanted to sort of surprise him when he gets back by me having my written test completed.

I have been studying quite a bit. I have read a handfull of books over the past 6 months. Read Schweizer Helicopter Pilot Manual by Jeppesen, the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, any and all websites I can find, and have been practicing using the ASA Prepware software and consistantly get in the 90's. Have yet to get a 100% though :(.

Is there anyway I can get someone to give me the endorsement so I can take the written? Anyone in the MD area that I could meet. I'll buy ya lunch, we can talk shop and if you feel comfortable help me out?

Well here is my situation.

I've been training since July of last year. Have about 43 hours total. Have completed all the flight requirments for my checkride exept for the 3 hours of prep needed for the checkride. I'm so close to get my PPL I can taste it.

OK, so it's winter here in MD, a mild one though, and my instructor has like only 2 or 3 students and all of us are part time. So he went down to FL to teach for a bit at the schools headquarters. Can't blame him in a sense, he's got to get paid. He has been down there for a month now and will be for at minimum another month. I wanted to sort of surprise him when he gets back by me having my written test completed.

I have been studying quite a bit. I have read a handfull of books over the past 6 months. Read Schweizer Helicopter Pilot Manual by Jeppesen, the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook, any and all websites I can find, and have been practicing using the ASA Prepware software and consistantly get in the 90's. Have yet to get a 100% though :(.

Is there anyway I can get someone to give me the endorsement so I can take the written? Anyone in the MD area that I could meet. I'll buy ya lunch, we can talk shop and if you feel comfortable help me out?

As I understand it, legally any flight instructor (i.e.- even a fixed-wing) or *advanced* ground instructor (or basic for the PPL) should be able to sign you off for the written. You just need to convince them you will pass so they will sign you off. That may open up the possibilities...

why dont you just phone your instructor in florida and get him to mail you the endorsement?

I will place the call tomorrow... I didn't even think of him mailing it to me. I'm so used to him endorsing my log book that I didn't think of that...

Thanks much...

Any CFI or CGI can sign you off for that thing without any liability whatsoever. Just use the:

---------------------------------

Aeronautical Knowledge Test

§§ 61.35(a)(1), 61.103(d), 61.105

I certify that I have reviewed the home study curriculum of Mr/Ms ___________________. I have determined he/she is prepared for the Private Pilot Rotorcraft/Helicopter (PRH) knowledge test.

---------------------------------

Show them you study book and you're all set. He can just fax or email it to you.....it doesn't need to be anything formal.

Edited by delorean

Just to add, a CFI doesn't need to worry (too much) about written test endorsements - a testing center doesn't record who endorsed a knowledge test, they only verify that the endorsement is valid.