Important question from a 16 year old

Hello to everyone firstly. I have just joined and this will be my first post.

I am 16 years of age and currently living in the UK. At the moment it is a dream to become a helicopter pilot, but i am trying to take this dream one step closer to reality. I have been in the ATC (air cadets) for over a year now and i have completed around 3 hours fixed wing in a cesena 177 and 2 hours aerobatics in a grob. I have also had a one hour hands on helicopter lesson in Florida which just blew me away! I have worked on Chinnock Avionics and flown in a Chinnock for 3 hours in one.

I am starting an aeronautical engineering course in September (NVQ) and also working part time to raise some funds.

What is the best way to gain the required lisence:

Completing a PPL and building hours with that in a group or something?

or

Doing a CPL straight off an trying to gain hours that way?

Also, what are the 'chances' of being employed and making a career out of helicopter piloting. What is the risk factor?

Any help with this or anything else that could help me would be extremly appriciated.

Thank you.

Rick.

ATC? Is that like Junior ROTC (if you are familiar with the program)? Where do you plan to do your training? In the US, there are a number of schools that offer professional pilot programs that get you all the way to CFI or II and usually they have deals worked out with local businesses so that you can work part time while you fly, getting a head start on your loans.

If you stick with it, the chances of being employed and making a career out of flying are pretty high (and by that I mean as high as you make it). I find that most people get out of flying because they are usually coming from high paying jobs and as soon as they land (no pun intended) their first flight job they freak out at how low their pay check is.

ATC? Is that like Junior ROTC (if you are familiar with the program)? Where do you plan to do your training? In the US, there are a number of schools that offer professional pilot programs that get you all the way to CFI or II and usually they have deals worked out with local businesses so that you can work part time while you fly, getting a head start on your loans.

If you stick with it, the chances of being employed and making a career out of flying are pretty high (and by that I mean as high as you make it). I find that most people get out of flying because they are usually coming from high paying jobs and as soon as they land (no pun intended) their first flight job they freak out at how low their pay check is.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I am a little confused with the whole concept of training and financing. What i do know is that i want this so bad and because of that i will make any sacrifices required.

I want to get as high as i can go with this(whatever that is :rolleyes:)

I am thinking of doing the training the US simply because of the money issue with flying in general in the UK.

The main problem that i have is knowing what is the best way to go about this.

If i was to complete a CFI or PPLH in the states what is the rates on converting that to UK and EU regulations?

If i completed a PPLH and then built up hours this way, do these hours count when i complete a CPL?

Financing would be tricky since you are only 16 and probably have no real credit history. Check the websites for schools like HAI and see what they say about how to finance training and also how to convert your ratings

Every hour that you log counts, so if you we're to get you private and then start flying around, you'd get closer and closer to the hour min for a commercial. The thing about these professional pilot programs is that, while you are flying around, you are actually learning useful manuvers/skills that would assist you in getting your CPL as well as you general flying career.

Yes finance is a big issue but i am aiming to use what money i have saved/am saving to complete a Helicopter PPL and then slowly build up hours until i am in a position to pay for the CPL upgrade. By doing it this way, i feel that i will be able to:

Start flying sooner

Be able to afford the PPL course

Be able to afford hopefully 1+ hours a week

Build hours up that CPL require

Evaluate how i stand money/job wise and whether i still wish to continue.

Is this a good way to go bearing in mind that i wouldnt be able to afford a cpl lisence and hours for years to come.

Thanks very much for your help. :D

To listen to you at the age of 16 is quite inspirational in a way. I bet most teenagers don't have these types of ambitions at your age, but it is very nice to see someone of your age so interested in a career in aviation. I can't give you much advice, other than that which I have already learned myself on these forums and on other websites. But I can tell you that if you set your mind to it, you can achieve anything. As Andrew was saying, the worst part for you will be your financing, and the rest will come as it can. You have probably already seen the going rates for helicopter training, which is around $200+ per hour for the R22's and the Schweizer 300C's at most training facilities, and that there are plenty of other prices to add in such as ground school instruction, various instructor fees, flight-sim fees, testing fees, books, etc. The real deal will be how will you get the money to train.

Here are HAI's Rates and Fees that will help you on determining how much things will cost.

Hillsboro Aviation, Inc.

Hillsboro Aviation is located in Oregon, if you didn't already know. Another thing about Oregon, there is no sales tax. Which means, you'll save anywhere from 5-10% over states that do have sales tax in the U.S. I'm not trying to sell you on HAI by the way. I'm just using them as an example since Andrew mentioned them in his post. And no, I don't attend their school. I am still shopping around for the one I am going to choose. :)

To listen to you at the age of 16 is quite inspirational in a way. I bet most teenagers don't have these types of ambitions at your age, but it is very nice to see someone of your age so interested in a career in aviation. I can't give you much advice, other than that which I have already learned myself on these forums and on other websites. But I can tell you that if you set your mind to it, you can achieve anything. As Andrew was saying, the worst part for you will be your financing, and the rest will come as it can. You have probably already seen the going rates for helicopter training, which is around $200+ per hour for the R22's and the Schweizer 300C's at most training facilities, and that there are plenty of other prices to add in such as ground school instruction, various instructor fees, flight-sim fees, testing fees, books, etc. The real deal will be how will you get the money to train.

Here are HAI's Rates and Fees that will help you on determining how much things will cost.

Hillsboro Aviation, Inc.

Hillsboro Aviation is located in Oregon, if you didn't already know. Another thing about Oregon, there is no sales tax. Which means, you'll save anywhere from 5-10% over states that do have sales tax in the U.S. I'm not trying to sell you on HAI by the way. I'm just using them as an example since Andrew mentioned them in his post. And no, I don't attend their school. I am still shopping around for the one I am going to choose. :)

:P I have always been interested in Aviation since about 6 years old. It is my dream and i am not going to let anything stop it!

It may be a while for me to earn enough money considering i am still at school and with a part time job im taking in only $100 a week :angry:

I have the option of aeronautical engineering course at college for 2 years and in which i will be earning the same $100 a week, or i could come out of school in July and get a full time job and get about $300 a week.

I am being encouraged to do the college course simply so i have something to fall back on but im a little unsure. What do you guys reckon is the best thing to do?

I am being encouraged to do the college course simply so i have something to fall back on but im a little unsure. What do you guys reckon is the best thing to do?

being in college myself, and also being only a couple of years older than you, I say that you should take advantage of getting a degree. Especially for you since it would be relevant education. And acutally, you might even be able to work something out with the loans so that they assist for your education as well as your flight time...of course, I could be making that up

being in college myself, and also being only a couple of years older than you, I say that you should take advantage of getting a degree. Especially for you since it would be relevant education. And acutally, you might even be able to work something out with the loans so that they assist for your education as well as your flight time...of course, I could be making that up

I know it would probably be best doing it, the downside is that is takes 2 years worth of earning money out of the equation. :angry:

Hey "sparks"

I am 17 years old of age and I made my private training last summer in Portland, OR at Hillsboro Aviation.

Currently I work in Germany as a "tax business management assistent" -trainee, but I hope I can start my CHPL, CFI, IR and CFII training this summer.

I think HAI (Hillsboro Aviation) is one of the best flightschools in US. Nodody had problems with my age.

I started my training with 16. Two weeks later I had birhtday and I had my check-ride with 17.

If you want to valid your US-license in europe (JAR-FCL) you have following requ.:

Before you can do all the tests you must go to an europe flight school for helicopter and must make a flight with a CFI (many many many paperwork). He/she will say how many additional flighthours you must fly in europe (with CFI). After this 15 - 20 hours you must complete following tests:

-ground test

-oral test

-check ride

After this "hard" time you can fly and work in europe with your US-license.

I hope that helps.

best wishes an d GOOD LUCK!!! :D :D :D

Sandro :lol:

Hey Sandro. Thanks for the reply and the information.

Yes, that does seem like a lot of work and you can bet that has a pretty price to it as well.

I think because of this, i may be forced to do the joint lisence where for around $50,000 i can get a Euro CPL and a USA ppl, all at once. This would mean i could build up precious hours at the cheapest prices in the USA, but work in the UK.

Thanks again.

Sparks.

You can do this "double" training (UK and US) in Florida at Helicopter Adventure Inc. (www.heli.com)

They offer a combined US and UK course (PHPL, CHPL).

It sounds very professionel. You can coose between R22 and Schweizer 300. But I would do the training mostly in R22 because in europe, flight companys work mostly with Robinson helicopter.

The prices are okay <_< . Do you want to work as a CFI in US? I don´t know the requirements in England but if you come back from the USA to Germany and have less than 1000fh (PIC) you have no chance to find a "good" and serious job.

Sandro :blink:

You can do this "double" training (UK and US) in Florida at Helicopter Adventure Inc. (www.heli.com)

They offer a combined US and UK course (PHPL, CHPL).

It sounds very professionel. You can coose between R22 and Schweizer 300. But I would do the training mostly in R22 because in europe, flight companys work mostly with Robinson helicopter.

The prices are okay <_ . do you want to work as a cfi in us i don know the requirements england but if come back from usa germany and have less than no chance find serious job.>

Sandro :blink:

Yeah, i have checked them out.

I do want to work as a CFI in the states but im not sure that i will be able to get the required work permits.

Sparks,

You'll get J-1 visa (2 years, including training time) if you'll go to HAI (Helicopter Adventures) and take part in their Professional pilot program. I'd suggest you do a dual course (FAA/JAA) so that you can build up hours in the US and you have a licence ready when it's time to get back to Europe. Converting from FAA licence (even with 1000 hours) could be quite tricky and expensive.

Good Luck, -F- B)

Seems like a plan. The other alternative i could try would be to just try and go through the UK system. If i do a commercial at a training facility in the UK, they maybe able to hire me as a CFI with them?

No, they are NOT able to hire you as an instructor just with your fresh CPL. You will need at least 300 hours TT to be able to take part in FI(h) course. After that, u can work as an instructor. Problem is that u will only have 135 hours (integrated course) after finishing your CPL....

If it would be that easy, we all would've done it that way. But i'm also VERY happy, that there isn't any 200 hour instructor on this side of the Atlantic. Actually instructors should have a minimum TT of 1000 hours.

Ok..Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Could you just tell me, by TT you mean Total Time. Does this mean, if i did a PPL(H) and worked 300 hours then did a CPL taking say another 50 hours. Would that mean that i have 350 total time which could count for applying for an FI course? Or do i need 300 hours of CPL time?