Newbie here! Want some advices

Hi

I'm new here, I have absolutely 0 experience flying helicopters beside playing Flight Sim 98 -> 2004. My training will begin in a couple of weeks in a Schweizer 300CB.

I've learned that the amount of information you can learn in message boards is incredible. I'd like advices from students, teachers on books, DVDs, gear I could use to be better prepared.

I'm also pretty big (6'3" ~ 250 lbs) so I was thinking maybe hitting the gym hard before begining my lesson to shread a couple of pounds maybe could make it easier.

Thanks!

Hi

I'm new here, I have absolutely 0 experience flying helicopters beside playing Flight Sim 98 -> 2004. My training will begin in a couple of weeks in a Schweizer 300CB.

I've learned that the amount of information you can learn in message boards is incredible. I'd like advices from students, teachers on books, DVDs, gear I could use to be better prepared.

I'm also pretty big (6'3" ~ 250 lbs) so I was thinking maybe hitting the gym hard before begining my lesson to shread a couple of pounds maybe could make it easier.

Thanks!

250 isnt too big for the 300, but you would have to lose 10 plus pounds for the Robbie 22. Never hurts to lose weight for helicopter flying...I went from 252 to 238 just so I could fly a R22..I would start studying for my written and go get my CLass 3 medical cert now. No reason to wait, and once you start training there is so much coming at you, having some self taught ground schooling wont hurt. Check out www.mywrittenexam.com and start taking the tests, that will tell you what you dont know. ANy of the CD's covering ground school topics are a big help. Also, if youre serious and dont have any radio experience, go spend $300 on a hand held aviation radio and you can start picking up the rhythm of how to talk to the tower...good luck !

( also, see my post under "training hours")

Guest rookie101

I am not trying to promot my own thread here, but this is a good topic of some books to read and what other pilot's have said and suggested. I highly recommend Principles of Helicopter Flight.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterfor...c=3808&hl=books

Also, check out the free aviation books online topic hear in the training section, very good, very helpful. I can sympthizes with you in height (6' 2" and still growing and will be in a 22) but I am a feather compared to both of you (Goldy and Mr. X) in mass. If you've got questions about simulators just type in "sims" in the search feature here at VR and you should get a lot of good topics on sims. Good luck,

rookie