What is that?

Guest rookie101

Guest rookie101

As a wanna-be the only thing that I am involved in when it comes to helicopters is reading books and looking at helo pictures (and being here of course). While looking at the Mi-26 and the Mi-8 I noticed that between the mast and the engines sits another intake of some sort. I have speculated about this extra 'appendage' and wondered if it might be some sort of cooling unit for the engines, kinda like a radiator, but I've got no idea what that 'thing' is and what it's for so if anyone's got an idea or know's what it is I would appreciate it if you filled me in. Thanks,

rookie

Mi-26- http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0849...next_id=0849598

Mi-8- http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0971...next_id=0967248

Guest rookie101

well i was stuck in the chat all day and i got to meet up with DeltaMikeCharlie and 67november (both of whom work on helos) and they both said that it is either an APU or some sort of cooling unit which makes sense to me and I'll stick with that. Anyone else got an idea?

I was fortunate enough to jump out of an Mi-8 in Finland and asked the crew chief the same question. It's an APU used to start the main engines. I distinctly remember it produced an ear piercing whine and could not wait until the mains where up at it was shut down.

Bob