Robinson Vs Blackhawk

This past Saturday I went to a nearby airport for fuel and as I entered the pattern I looked down at the ramp and there were 2 Blackhawks parked there with their crews mingling about. I thought to myself, OK, the pressure is on to look sharp, flew my approach, hover to the ramp, pass along side both blackhawks and set down behind them to wait my turn for fuel. After they get the two fixed wingers fueled, I move over to the pumps and shutdown. The Blackhawk crews watch every move I make....no pressure. :huh: I go inside to pay for the fuel and as I come out there are 5 crew members standing around the R22, I thought here we go, here comes the jokes at my expense. So I slowly walk up to them and ask them to not breath too hard on her as they might blow her over......She's not as tough as your Sikorsky's. They smile and start asking all sorts of questions about the little Robbie, how's the cyclic work, what engine, drive system, how's it auto, etc. Not what I expected, no smart a$$ comments or jokes at all, they even told me that I was really smooth in my flying.....BIG compliment for a 400 hour wonder. :P They show off their blackhawk and talk about its performance. Man I think you could park two R22's in there and still have room to spare. There is an R44 approaching to land and fuel, so I squeeze my inflated head back into the 22 and startup, and hover along the Blackhawks and takeoff as the 44 hovers up to the pumps. The Blackhawks were Indiana National Guard, from Shelbyville Indiana,

Thanks guys, you made my whole day. B)

Fly Safe

Clark

Hey Superman, sounds like ya had a really great day. glad to hear you got to feast your eyeballs on a pair of hawks, uncle sam threatened to give my old unit some back in the 80's but they didn't arrive until recently, now I see them flying over my house. B)

Cool. After I parked our R22 on the ramp yesterday (one of my partners was going to fly it), an Agusta came in and parked behind me. The two pilots came into the FBO and I made some crack to the effect that I felt like a piker parked in front of their ship. They both laughed and told about all the R22 hours they had as students and instructors.

I think that the really great thing about helicopter pilots is that we all tend to be pretty nice to each other!

By the way, where do you put the quarters in the R22? I can never seem to find the coin slot. :D

RW

Priceless! :D

Superman, I envy your 400 hours and that would have made my day too!

As PA Pilot kind of emphasized - there is a nice mutual respect amongst helicopter pilots - that makes it an honor to share time, encouragement, stories and lessons from them.

Guest rookie101

That is so cool, thanks for sharing that with us Superman!! I am still smiling from reading it, I can't imagine how it would make me feel if those guys told me that!! :D