Job in Market New Zeland?

Hi

Anyone have an idea of how many new CPL-H pilots there are with low hours looking

for work in New Zealand.?

I was told there would be jobs for around 150-200 Pilots over the next 5-10 years as the older

work force retires. And can expect 80-100K+ wage packets in those positions.

I'm 30 I've 168Hrs (R22), 87K student loan :( , and now looking at extending that to 100k+ as I look

at building my hours up, and get a turbine rating to standout a bit. $12-15K or:

As i know getting the first job is difficult, especailly with alot like me, out of school low hours

but whats the best way?

I'm looking at offering my individual contact to companies some like:

-Paying a percentage of insurance

-No holiday/sick pay

-7 days a week on call

-$8.00-$10.50NZ per hour

-doing scenic flights, joyrides, and intro flight work.

I think there alot from Australia looking for work here to, they have alot of training schools too.

its better than me getting more in debt, but

I'm wondering if the pay I'm asking for is dreaming, as I'm worried most now doing deals to work for free or less, so they get there hours up to the 200-250 mark, its worth doing that in the long run to get a job.

Like its nothing like i was lead to expect. I had the impression there was going to be a crisis like shortage in a few years

in this country, and they why the schools were setup to help reduce this problem. :angry:

I've woken up and now I Guess I'm starting to smell the coffee..... :o

1 guy I heard the same year group made himself bankrupt to get rid of his loan and now works in Telecommunications sales, getting 75K plus company car!

Hi

Anyone have an idea of how many new CPL-H pilots there are with low hours looking

for work in New Zealand.?

I was told there would be jobs for around 150-200 Pilots over the next 5-10 years as the older

work force retires. And can expect 80-100K+ wage packets in those positions.

I'm 30 I've 168Hrs (R22), 87K student loan :( , and now looking at extending that to 100k+ as I look

at building my hours up, and get a turbine rating to standout a bit. $12-15K or:

As i know getting the first job is difficult, especailly with alot like me, out of school low hours

but whats the best way?

I'm looking at offering my individual contact to companies some like:

-Paying a percentage of insurance

-No holiday/sick pay

-7 days a week on call

-$8.00-$10.50NZ per hour

-doing scenic flights, joyrides, and intro flight work.

I think there alot from Australia looking for work here to, they have alot of training schools too.

its better than me getting more in debt, but

I'm wondering if the pay I'm asking for is dreaming, as I'm worried most now doing deals to work for free or less, so they get there hours up to the 200-250 mark, its worth doing that in the long run to get a job.

Like its nothing like i was lead to expect. I had the impression there was going to be a crisis like shortage in a few years

in this country, and they why the schools were setup to help reduce this problem. :angry:

I've woken up and now I Guess I'm starting to smell the coffee..... :o

1 guy I heard the same year group made himself bankrupt to get rid of his loan and now works in Telecommunications sales, getting 75K plus company car!

Hi There

If you talk to flying schools course they are going to tell you there is going to be a shortage as they make there money out of training and with student loans available they are a licence to print money for them. I have been where you are but now I am giving back and i fight with the industry to change the ways it operates. In the last week a guy came back from Oz and over the week on the way to and from work He got a jetranger rating of 3.2 hours and another 9.0 hrs all for $300 dollars which covered the fuel for the emergency procedures part. but it will be hard to find anyone else in NZ to do that.It is going to be hard yakka but hang in there. The money will be stuff all but if it is your dream follow it as you do not want to regret it in a few later on in life. Also look around in Oz, keep in touch with operators but dont annoy them. If you can get a job that is flexible outside the industry but help a operator in your time off in the hope that he will help you out along the way. It should not have to that way but in NZ that the way it is.Good Luck

Cheers,

Yeah your right, my passion will have 2 keep me going.

Thats pretty good for him, bit of luck and in the right place at the right time.Have to get turbine rated

really.

Looking for now like working for free to at least build hours is going to be the safest option.

I'm sure thats less of a risk, and probably the norm now with competition so tight.

I never thought of offering to pay for fuel to get even a bigger foot in the door.

Most new CPLs work for free to get hours???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received an email warning about a future influx of English speaking Chinese heli-pilots into the world-market.There is an Aviation park in Beijing just for this purpose.

Cheers,

Looking for now like working for free to at least build hours is going to be the safest option.

this is the LAST thing you want to do, as you're making a slave of yourself.

below is a link to this very subject from VM.

http://www.verticalmag.com/community/index...?showtopic=5488

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

--->I'm a US pilot who has done all of my primary training in the land of the Kiwi.. New Zealand that is..

Now I reside in the US and have been hired as a CFII in the Northwest .

I would recommend not trying to get a job in NZ as a YAnk unless you already are working for a company that is in place there. like Colmbia or one of the companies that service the Antartic.. its cold there..

.. I found that my attempts to get a job in NZ was very hard becasue I was not a native.. althought I also have freinds that have stuck it out there and have made good progress, thought not as quick as someone who can go the CFII route here in the US..

Most of the hours that the "new Guys" are flying there are on ferry flights or as part of the maintence program so its takes along time to "graduate" to a real flying job.. in saying that I would love to go back and fly in what is a helicopters pilots dream .. mostly Golf airspace and all scenic!

WEll.. I hope that this helps .. If your interested in flying Down Under at the moment JayRow helicopters in OZ is hiring a surprising amount of PIC and SIC pilots for mostly Off-Shore work..

http://www.jayrow.com.au/

ALL THE BEST!

Cheers,......

.......Most new CPLs work for free to get hours???

In NZ they use the CAA format of licensing ...

so PPL

then CPL

then the "C-cat" or "C" catagory instructor..

they are able to work without pay to get hours for the first six months or 100 hours which ever happens longer. So yes in effect your teaching for free.. its a bummer of a deal and if the amount of students at your school is low then you get to stay for the longer period of time an might not be able to make alot of progress into you hours..

The next step is to get you "B-CAT" which is a more responsible position and as I understood it is an instructor who was able to sign all the endorsements that you needed to apply for your licenses..

then after that its an "A-Cat" this guy is able to sign all endorsements and act as an examiner for all catagories of licensing that he holds as well..

So this is a little over view of the system.. I just wish that they had a FAR-AIM down there like they do in the USA it would have made all the law I had to learn much easier to resource.

CHEERS!