J-1 visa and max. allowed flight hours?

Hallo. I’m student-pilot on about half way to my JAA PPL/H. Approx. in 2008 I would like to start J-1 visa route in USA. Meantime I want to fill this time to do some studying and get some flight hours. And off course, to work on my English too. If I understand well, there is max. allowed amount of the total flight time before applying for visa. Since I have absolutely no idea where to find it, I would be grateful If anybody could tell me the correct numbers or give me a hint where to find it.

Also, I would like to ask you for your opinion, whether it could be problem in visa process, if I would pass JAA CPL or ATPL theory prior applying for visa. My plan is: to get JAA PPL/H (in EU), then CPL or ATPL theory(EU), then to apply for J-1 and try to make it up to FAA CFII in US, then convert to JAA CPL after visa expiration.

Any input or opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Petr

It depends on the school. This is a qoute from an information sheet from Hillsboro Aviation in Oregon: "A prospective participant who has a private pilot’s license and more than fifty additional flight hours after their private license is not eligible for participation in the Exchange Visitor Program (J-1)."

Dont know about HAI, you should email them and they will tell you, but I think it will be similar.

Now im re-reading you question I see that you will need to do FAA PPL CPL and CFI. Then I think there isnt a problem, but if you email them, you know for sure

(I think they they are talking about a FAA PPL in that quote)

Hallo. I’m student-pilot on about half way to my JAA PPL/H. Approx. in 2008 I would like to start J-1 visa route in USA. Meantime I want to fill this time to do some studying and get some flight hours. And off course, to work on my English too. If I understand well, there is max. allowed amount of the total flight time before applying for visa. Since I have absolutely no idea where to find it, I would be grateful If anybody could tell me the correct numbers or give me a hint where to find it.

Also, I would like to ask you for your opinion, whether it could be problem in visa process, if I would pass JAA CPL or ATPL theory prior applying for visa. My plan is: to get JAA PPL/H (in EU), then CPL or ATPL theory(EU), then to apply for J-1 and try to make it up to FAA CFII in US, then convert to JAA CPL after visa expiration.

Any input or opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Petr

That should be no problem. As long as you do not have an FAA CPL prior to getting your J-1 visa.

The J-1 Visa in issued to people going for an education leading to an occupation. If you have a FAA CPL then you allready have your occupational education, and it won't matter if you want it to get your CFI (then you won't get it)

Best of luck