This is the worst mistake i've ever made

I moved to Oregon in October to fly for my CPL and eventually double I. 1 month and two weeks later, i have built about 12hrs. My plan was to fly AT LEAST 5-7hrs a week!!!! I just feel as though everyone else who is attending school in a better climate is passing me up. It has rained a consecutive 11 days and this mornings forecast called for rain all next week as well. In fact he said that the most it won't rain next week is about 12 hrs. Probably at night too. Any advice from pilots that survived the $#@!ing crap Oregon winter weather during training let me know how you kept the rifle out of your mouth.

pissed about being pissed on,

hatchet

it really DOES rain alll the time in the pacific northwest? :blink: I always wanted to move/visit there, but time just never let me do it. on the brite side?--makes for alot of "indoor" activities ;)

Where are you training at? I am flying out of Newberg and true it has rained for around 11 days, but rain alone doesn't stop us from going up, now if the airport is below minimums of course that would, or if the winds are bad enough to where training in them would not be very helpful. I find it helpful to train in foul weather, if you can be solid on the stick in crap weather then it only improves your control in good weather, at least that is what I have found. :)

OK, it's really not all that bad...except for the storms this last week. If it's raining, you can still fly. Last week the broken layer was 500'. We still flew. And besides, flying in weather is a lot better than sunny all the time. And try turning in am 18 kt wind-especially a pedal turn. And flying in a crosswind? Forget abouddit!

From what airport are you flying? Hillsboro? Applebee? Dare I ask...SSH?

Look at the bright side-at least you'll know how to fly weather like this because you've trained in it.

Later

I moved to Oregon in October to fly for my CPL and eventually double I. 1 month and two weeks later, i have built about 12hrs. My plan was to fly AT LEAST 5-7hrs a week!!!! I just feel as though everyone else who is attending school in a better climate is passing me up. It has rained a consecutive 11 days and this mornings forecast called for rain all next week as well. In fact he said that the most it won't rain next week is about 12 hrs. Probably at night too. Any advice from pilots that survived the $#@!ing crap Oregon winter weather during training let me know how you kept the rifle out of your mouth.

pissed about being pissed on,

hatchet

Hachetfist,

First, would you mind sharing which school you are attending? I understand if you would rather not but you are not complaining about the school, just the weather. The reason I’m asking is that different airports around here in Oregon have very different weather restrictions that’s why I assume you might be attending one of the schools that flies out of Hillsboro. I’m also surprised that the rain has kept you grounded. Usually on rainy days the ceiling is relatively high and thus the rain in itself isn’t enough to keep the helicopters on the ground. On that note, I must say that the storms that have hit here in the past couple of weeks are definitely abnormal (hence all of the flooding). These storms have also been accompanied by high winds which is also not the norm. Usually it’s just a constant ‘drizzle’. And I hate to say it, but your instructor was being optimistic. I’ll tell you the forecast for the next 6 months-- rain and 50 degrees.

I grew up in Oregon and I absolutely love it here but if you’re going to stay sane, you just have to pretend like it’s not raining. You can’t be afraid to go out and do things and to just get wet; after all, you can only get so soaked. In fact, I find it kind of fun. Either way, rain or shine, I do whatever I normally would do. In fact, I’m going to break out the motorcycle and go for a little ride.

Anyway, like I said, these past few storms are not the norm. It’s just too bad that you haven’t been able to fly because of it. But don’t worry, you’ll get plenty of flying days this winter!

Hang in there!!!

-V5

OK, it's really not all that bad...except for the storms this last week. If it's raining, you can still fly. Last week the broken layer was 500'. We still flew. And besides, flying in weather is a lot better than sunny all the time. And try turning in am 18 kt wind-especially a pedal turn. And flying in a crosswind? Forget abouddit!

From what airport are you flying? Hillsboro? Applebee? Dare I ask...SSH?

Look at the bright side-at least you'll know how to fly weather like this because you've trained in it.

Later

That's funny, Witch, we must have have been writing our posts at the same time!

-V5

All right everyone my complaint was with the weather only. I attend precision and they are great. i am having a problem because the weather mins for a solo/rental are tighter than i'm used to. right now i'm trying to fly out all my cross country for my CPL(141) and the recent rainforest conditions aren't doin me right. i'm not trying to sound crabby, i guess i'm just bored and want nothing more than to be in the air!! I'm sure this spring/summer in oregon is worth it. I know when i lived in Alaska the grueling 8 month winter was well worth the summer. anyway that was it, just venting. Anyone in oregon know of any simulators in the portland area?

hatchet

V5, portland local forecast said that about the twelve hours. i merely added it to the post for shock value. my instructor told me the same thing u said. oh well

• 1 month later...
All right everyone my complaint was with the weather only. I attend precision and they are great. i am having a problem because the weather mins for a solo/rental are tighter than i'm used to. right now i'm trying to fly out all my cross country for my CPL(141) and the recent rainforest conditions aren't doin me right. i'm not trying to sound crabby, i guess i'm just bored and want nothing more than to be in the air!! I'm sure this spring/summer in oregon is worth it. I know when i lived in Alaska the grueling 8 month winter was well worth the summer. anyway that was it, just venting. Anyone in oregon know of any simulators in the portland area?

hatchet

V5, portland local forecast said that about the twelve hours. i merely added it to the post for shock value. my instructor told me the same thing u said. oh well

What made you choose Precision? Going for intro flight soon and considering Hillsboro and Precision. Did you finance or are paying as you go? Any advise? Thanks, Hope you're stilling checking for post.