The V22

coanda

Hey all,

I don't know too much about the V22 Osprey and a bunch of questions came to me yesterday about it.

In a complete (both) engine failure is the autorotation used exclusively or does the added airfoils the rotors are mounted on provide enough for a glide?

I know its considered a rotorcraft so it has to auto to be certified, just wondering how different the auto might feel with all that lift.

Can the V22 auto on just one of the rotors successfully? I'm thinking more in a combat setting where one side is lost.

If anyone has any experience flying these or has talked to anyone who does please let me know. These questions also apply to the civilian tilt rotor.

To add to what 67Nov said:

While the V22 will, in the strictest sense, autorotate, a succesful autorotative landing is not possible as the aircraft will have a very high ROD. The method of landing power-off from altitude is to glide as an airplane. I have not seen any demonstration or discussion of what happens if both engines go out at the hover (but I bet it isn't pretty).

If one engine fails, a cross-shaft allows the remaining engine to drive both prop-rotors.

If one prop-rotor is lost, the aircraft has no "helicopter" capacity, and limited capacity to stay airborne in airplane mode due to the engine/prop being so far from the centerline.

thanks, yeah i didn't know much about the v22 i thought it was a rotorcraft!

thanks you guys helped!

I wonder exactly does happen in a complete failure at altitude? Do the blades just stop turning and it becomes a glider? I'm sure relative wind and foward airspeed will keep them turning and if so can the pilot perform some sort of flare at the end to aid the approach?

Edited by coanda

It seems like the V22 is a death trap once the "airplane" wing stops producting lift. I was also told by a Bell rep at the NBAA convention that there is going to be a "powered lift" rating for all VTOL aircraft like the BA609/V22. What I don't understand is where all the businessmen buying the BA609 will get qualified pilots. And I don't even want to think about what insurance rates are going to be on them.....

I had a chance to fly the V-22 sim once at the plant. I have to admit it was pretty cool. But, I'm still not sold on the thing. I lost a good friend and ex-squadron mate in the crash near Yuma. To get back to your question, though, if you lose both engines I was told the "wings" will provide enough lift to do a run-on landing. But your airspeed has to be really high to generate enough lift, I don't remember the figure, but it was over 150 kts. It glides like a brick. The prop-rotors will broomstick (shatter) on landing since they are so long. There is a drive shaft that connects both rotors in case you lose one engine. Otherwise, it would roll over and, well you get the picture. Hope this helps. By the way the rotor wash on this thing is unbelievable. Guys fast rope out and literally get blown away on the ground! Kind of funny to watch unless you're the one on the rope. :angry: