And so it begins....

Hello all.

After much research and thought I have officially enrolled and scheduled my flight training. My first flight is scheduled for January 8th and I plan on training full time. A big thanks to all of the people who post here. The information available here is amazing! What a great resource for beginners like me and seasoned professionals alike.

I will be training with Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad, California. I plan on completing my PPL(H) at Civic, and then evlauating other schools when it is time to move onto the other ratings. I am assuming that this will tell me if I have made the right decision, and if flying helicopters is really something I want to do, or simply THINK I want to do. If you were to ask me today, I cant think of anything else I would rather pursue. It seems to me it might take a few hours of actual experience and financial bloodletting to make the final determination.

If my experience at Civic is what i think it will be based on the fine people I have met there, then in all likelyhood I will do all of my training with them.

If anyone who reads this has the time or the energy, I am completely open to any information you might be willing to share regarding your training experiences.

1. What is the biggest thing you would do differently as a rookie?

2. What kind of equipment you use in the cockpit, headset choices, kneeboard things, gadgets, etc.

3. What organizations do you belong to and why?

4. What was your greatest discouragement, and how did you overcome it?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to reading any answers you might be willing to provide!

• Like 1

Not sure that I can answer all your answers, but I started my flight training (ppl-h for now) in San Bernardino/Riverside area 2 weeks ago. Don't worry about headsets or kneeboards right now or any extra's, you will see what others use and what they think about what they have. It will save you money down the road is my thinking, concentrate on the basic's unless your CFI specifically asks you to get something.

There were a few days I got really discouraged becuase I couldn't get my feet coordinated, and got my rights mixed up with my lefts all the time. But then the next day I would do great and my instructor almost had to check my ID to see if I was the same guy that flew so badly the day before. Be prepared for lots of studying, a few flights that will be horrible and you will wonder why you did this LOL! But then there will be many other flights that will be AWESOME! Auto's are the best so far, loving everyone of them!

I just ordered my headset this last Thursday after doing some reasearch with other students getting some impressions. The decision about what would be best for me and my ears was very hard! I ended up with a DC-56HXL for better passive protection than almost anything else out there, and if the ENC works than it will make it better. My instuctor has a Bose that he uses in the S300c, but says it doesn't work hardley at all in the MD500 becuase of the transmission noise. Some of the other students have Boses, Lightspeed 30-3G and DC 13.4, and othe DC variants. Wait and play with others headsets and see what works on your ears and how it feels, I am used to hard hats and helmets in conjunction with a headset for many hours at a time for fireground communications, so a heavy DC isn't really a problem right now.

As far as belonging to any organizations, I went ahead and did the AOPA thing, it wasn't very much and the articles are fun to read, but its mainly F/W related.

Good luck at Civic, I looked at them earlier this year and even visited with Eugene and I was really close to doing my training there. From what I have heard and saw, it seems like a decent operation. I ended up happened on what I think is a better choice for me where I am currently.

Are you doing your initial training in the 300 or or the R22?

• Like 1

congrats on coming over to the dark side....

here's my knee board...things stay put even with the doors off and it has pockets (for stashing weight and balance data) and all kinds of cool stuff like 7 ring approach chart loops, checklist holders etc.... smaller than

anything else i've seen too, check it out:

http://store.pilotsmart.com/pa-155.html

I've got the bose headsets now and they really help out...the price tag isnt for everyone, but its like sex in your ears compared to passive cancellation models..best of all when you take them off after a long flight, it doesnt leave your head feeling like a clothespin had been on it.

other recommendations...

Enjoy it, relax, dont let yourself get frustrated with it and take everyday in stride...you'll be so amazed when you think all is lost because you cant hover,or do a certain maneuver right and then two lessons down the road, you're flying like a pro.. you're learning curve will look like a stock market chart--some days you'll blow it out of the water...other days you'll feel like you must be the worst pilot on the face of the earth. Dont worry because as long as you're there to fly, the good days will happen more often. good luck--it'll be the hardest yet most rewarding thing you'll ever do.

Nic

• Like 1

1. What is the biggest thing you would do differently as a rookie?

2. What kind of equipment you use in the cockpit, headset choices, kneeboard things, gadgets, etc.

3. What organizations do you belong to and why?

4. What was your greatest discouragement, and how did you overcome it?

Thanks for your time, I look forward to reading any answers you might be willing to provide!

1. I don't really have any advice for this one. I was flying airplanes for 21 years before I started into helicopters. I probably should have done more research on school choices and training programs, but it sounds as if you've done that quite a bit already.

2. I use a DC H10-13.4. I love it, but I have to use an adapter to make it work in a helicopter and the long cord is just a little bit cumbersome. If they had the same headset with a coiled cord for helos, I'd probably buy it. For a clipboard, I just use a plain old ASA IFR clipboard with an elastic strap. I did find one on the internet I would like to try. http://www.vertaboard.websiteanimal.com/ It looks pretty cool. Other than that, I like to keep it simple--only taking with me what I need for that flight.

3. I belong to AOPA. They are aggressive in representing general aviation and lobbying the government on our behalf. Plus they have legal assistance in case you get a violation down the road. I've never had to use it, but I know someone who has and it was invaluable. There isn't much for rotorcraft in their magazine, but there are some interesting articles anyways. The AOPA Air Safety Foundation has some great online safety courses, ie. Weather, recip engines, gps, etc. If you PM your name, address, and phone number to me, I'll make sure you get a free subscription to Flight Training magazine, published by AOPA.

4. Learning to fly a helicopter can become very frustrating and discouraging. You have to keep your spirits up and plow along in your training. Flying one is easy once you learn; it's the learning that makes you want to re-think what you're doing. I almost quit for that reason, but I kept on keepin' on and I'm glad I did! The more you can stay relaxed and not tense up your muscles, the easier it is.

Good Luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jeff

• Like 1

Join AOPA.....Tons of resources, great magazine, and any kind of help is just a phone call away. Plus discounts on renters insurance, legal insurance, etc. Basically the NRA of the aviation world. HAI and PHPA are more of industry-driven groups. Join them later if you want.

As far as kneeboards, I hate them in helicopters. You really don't need all that stuff hanging off of them IMHO. Fold your maps ahead of time and stick them under your leg. Use post-its or masking tape if you don't want to write on the map directly.

Because of the risk of something flying out the open left door, sometimes I would use a product called the "Third Hand" from Sporty's. It was one of those 4-5 inch "banker's clips" used for holding a bunch of envelopes together. It had an elastic band on one end connecting to small hole on the other, so you could have the big clip held stationary on your leg. Perfect size for maps and only 6 bucks. I put a small strip of velcro on the top side of the clip for a timer, pens, flashlight, note pad, if need be. I do have another knee board that's just a velcro pad and nothing else. I haven't used either in years though.

For writing in flight, slap of 6" length of medical tape on your leg. 3M Durapore 3" wide works best for me. Make sure it's the white cloth tape......the translucent plastic stuff doesn't stick very well.

Buy a good headset ($300+). Lot of debates on which is the best and ANR or not to ANR. I like my old David Clark H10-13.4 with a pair of "squishy" earplugs underneath. The latest Professional Pilot magazine has the overall rating of Bose at #1, DC #2, and Lightspeed for #3 in ANR sets. DC took first for non-ANR (PNR) sets.

Besides that, get yourself a few different flashlights with green filters. I like Pelican Product lights for their durabilty and battery life. But you'll go through about 10-20 before you find the ones you'll fly with. I have a Surefire 9Z for preflight, Pelican L1 (LED) for startup and shut down stuff, and a Steitz MikeLite (LED) for inflight.

Can't really think of anything else except for an E6B calculator and a plotter. With the E6B, don't get the old "wizwheel", spend the extra bucks on Sporty's flat one that fits in the chart books. There are plenty of excel and PDA programs you can get for free, but you can't use those on the FAA written tests.

Boy, these are the questions every student should be asking:

1. Things to do different- So much to take advantage of that most students dont find out about. Take a ground school at a local college, its dirt cheap and well run...even if you have to drive an hour. I'm taking my instrument ground at Glendale college next semester so I can hone up. Attend the free FAA Wings and safety classes. Go to faa.gov and find some classes near you. Jump online and use www.mywrittenexam.com to get you prep'd for your written test...notice all these things are basically free?

2. Get your own headsets, it makes you feel like a pilot, you never have to be on the outs when the flight school ones break down, and you will use them for a lifetime. I won't go into the pro's and cons of each.

I like kneeboards, I cant remember every damn frequency, so I have to refer to a freq chart I made up for the local area. Its a real bitch when you have doors off and 90 knot winds coming thru the cockpit, and you're looking for maps under your legs and yellow stickies on the dash (sorry DeLorean).

Buy a hand held aviation radio..its a great back up, and you can listen when your not airborne to get a feel for what the heck they are all saying. ANYTHING YOU CAN DO TO RELIEVE THE TENSION...SO THAT WHEN YOU ARE FLYING, YOU ARE JUST FLYING!! Not trying to figure out the new radio...which airspace am I in, etc.....do everything you can on the ground...so when you are airborne you are not distracted.

I subscribe to two great helo magazines, Vertical and Heli-Ops. Best photos known to man and some great articles...

As soon as you have your student license and medical, sign up for the Robinson safety class. The waiting list is about 6 months long, and you have to have your PPH ticket before you can go.....but you can reserve a spot with your student license. Bout $500 bucks for 4 or 5 days of training. And every insurance company and employer will require this course if you're involved in an R-22 or R-44.

3. Join AOPA because they support the aircraft community. Yes, they are mostly fixed wingers...they do offer helo insurance though...just have to call and ask them for it. I also belong to PHPA cause I like to hang out with local helo pilots. Most of these guys are real pro's....good to learn from. (phpa.org)

4. I made the mistake of getting all the way to my 7 or 8th solo flight, and then stopping. Partly I think I was afraid of the written and checkride...so I stopped flying for 16 years before I started all over again from square one. Now I'm having a blast and working on my commercial. Tools like the free internet site can really get you ready for all that. When you are ready for checkride oral...they have a $50 prep test that's internet based as well.....all worth the money.

5. Come hang out with us pilot types. Whether its a AOPA seminar, Wings seminar, PHPA mixer, airshow or breakfast at Brackett, I learn something on every event I attend. You just have to get out there.

Best of luck to you, keep those questions coming !

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

1. Started 20 years earlier, maybe even borrowed some money and finished sooner.

2. Headsets, David Clark H10-13.4H with the coiled helo cord and gel ear seals. Have the Bose in a fixed wing I fly, they are very good also, but they have a healthy price tag. Even if the school has headsets, buy your own, nothing worse than having to suck on someone's spit! Kneeboard, 9G plus, and clear chart protectors with rings, and post it notes for whatever. Really only started using the kneeboard in IFR training Also I fold the sectional and put it into a clear 8x11 notebook protector with cardboard for support, and I've made up a frequency chart for the local area, also in a clear notebook protector. Sporty's flat E6B

3. AOPA, well worth the membership

4. All my helo training has been add-on's, but my biggest setback with the copter training was making a poor school selection. But it led me to a great school in the end. Don't be afraid to leave if something doesn't seem right, cause probably isn't. When you feel comfortable, your in the right place. Watch your money, know what you are paying for. Most of all, have some fun with it :D

Fly Safe

Clark B)

I wanted to say thanks for helping jump start this topic for the intitial poster. I have to say I got a few things out of this as well.

Hey Goldy, is that frequency chart of yours computerized by any chance, and is it something you wouldn't mind sharing?

I wanted to say thanks for helping jump start this topic for the intitial poster. I have to say I got a few things out of this as well.

Hey Goldy, is that frequency chart of yours computerized by any chance, and is it something you wouldn't mind sharing?

Roger-its a word doc, I'll send one over to your email. Fold it in half, it fits in the center section of a kneeboard...the freq's are on the front...phone numbers on the back ( I dont make many calls from the cockpit at 500 AGL ) !!

Anyone else in the LA area that wants to take a look at mine, just PM me with your email address...

Goldy

Wow!

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I apologize I havent been back on for a few days to acknowlege the contributions.

This gives me a lot to think about and consider. Thanks again!

Are you doing your initial training in the 300 or or the R22?

I will be doing my initial training in the 300. I plan on adding some R22 time eventually as I progress through some of the ratings to increase my eventual employability as an instructor. I took a demo flight in both helicopters at different schools, and I felt much better in the 300. Besides, Im a big dude! I am under the seat weight for the R22, but the 300 was much more comfortable to be in.

I was also considering adding some time (down the road of course) to my logbook using heliclass in Van Nuys, CA. The discount hour building seems like it might be a good deal. Has anyone ever used them for building time? Is it worth doing to add blocks of turbine time to your logbook at a discount rate? I am somewhat leary about the actual value of the flight time. I think I might even be putting the cart before the horse on that one too since I have exactly zero hours currently.

Thanks again for all of the great information and for taking the time to share your experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so now I have a whopping 1.3 hours of actual hobbs meter time. WHAT A BLAST this helicopter flying is. Or in my case, helicopter wobbling. The very first flight we went over to an on airport practice area and I was shown a few things about hovering. I felt really funny at the end of the flight, as I wasnt really able to do much but erraticly pendulum all over the place. Today, we went back to the same place, and what a HUGE difference! Even though I thought I had an understanding of how these machines worked, controlling one yourself is an entirely different thing! What an amazing way to fly.

Was it hard in the beginning for any of you to talk yourself out of the death grip on the cyclic? I am amazed at how light of a touch is required to actually move that thing around. Once I talked myself into a much lighter touch, I could actually keep it still momentarily and move around somewhat deliberately. How long would you say it took you to be able to hold a hover with fine control, and what are some of the things that made it easier for you?

Thanks in advance!

One little trick to combat the death grip......

Interlace a pencil between your fingers before you grip the cylic. You can do every other, middle & ring over / pinky & index under, or vice versa. Anyway you do it, the harder you squeeze, the more pain you'll be incurring, thus lighter grip. If you manage to break the pencil, you have a TRUE "death" grip.

One little trick to combat the death grip......

Interlace a pencil between your fingers before you grip the cylic. You can do every other, middle & ring over / pinky & index under, or vice versa. Anyway you do it, the harder you squeeze, the more pain you'll be incurring, thus lighter grip. If you manage to break the pencil, you have a TRUE "death" grip.

Nice Idea! Ill give that a shot.