Keith,

I'm thinking along the same lines as Bossman, I know the fixed wing world does not translate to rotary wing flying, but back in the 80's, the Cessna 152 was the equivalent of the R22 when it came to us big guys, so I quickly moved to the 172 and 182, which of course didn't cost twice as much as the 152. Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm in R22 vs. R44 pricing.

I'll get my 50+ hours in the R22, but I'm looking to experience as many helicopters as money and opportunity will allow.

Merlinx- I also fly out of VNY...for fun, the R44, B47 or 300 dont have issues with 250 pound guys....all of those birds are available at vny...I dont see that many CFI's my size ( 240)...its just impractical in a R22 unless you move to a foreign country with really skinny people...but for commercial work I never see weight as an issue..in fact, one of the most successful helo pilots in the LA area is not a real skinny guy !!