USFS Contracts

jafco

Now that the Feds have put out the latest exclusive use solicitations, what is everyones opinion of the ongoing lack of practical thought used to build these contracts?

I see it as a few people in the higher echelon molding a private enterprise based system into a Forest Service Air Force at the cost of our livelyhood. I have to remain anonymous for business sake but it seems the out of country operators are going to take over unless we all get together and put an end to the nonsensical acts of NIFC. By reading the latest solicitations its not hard to see they want Type I equipment for the cost of Type II machines, this can really shake up an already fragile system. We will all be grasping at every available job to sustain our operations and this is going to drive our botton line down. We need to get the public educated in how the Feds are utilizing US tax dollars to support out of country operations. Enough venting have a ball with this one.

Now that the Feds have put out the latest exclusive use solicitations, what is everyones opinion of the ongoing lack of practical thought used to build these contracts?

I see it as a few people in the higher echelon molding a private enterprise based system into a Forest Service Air Force at the cost of our livelyhood. I have to remain anonymous for business sake but it seems the out of country operators are going to take over unless we all get together and put an end to the nonsensical acts of NIFC. By reading the latest solicitations its not hard to see they want Type I equipment for the cost of Type II machines, this can really shake up an already fragile system. We will all be grasping at every available job to sustain our operations and this is going to drive our botton line down. We need to get the public educated in how the Feds are utilizing US tax dollars to support out of country operations. Enough venting have a ball with this one.

I think your right!

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree!!!

I don't know how to respond except to tell you what happened on my contract.

I flew a five year contract in the high desert. Did a good job, the Foreman wanted us back again - good ship, good crew, no problems with anything. Ratings always 9's or 10's on review.

"State" decided that they wanted more performance - a 205++ instead of a 212. Guess who got it - yep, for $1300 MORE per flight hour - for 360# boost in performance! That's $325,000 more per year - for an organization that ALWAYS cries about money!

As far as fighting it, if the Teamesters couldn't stop NAFTA, we don't stand a chance!

Guess this is one more profession we've "out-sourced"!

Have you called "Customer Service" lately? Isn't the "service" GREAT?

cr

It will be interesting to see how the Type I operators bid the contracts since the performance requirements are such that the Type II's aren't going to make the cut. The Type I's are going to have to come down on their fees to compete for these contracts which is really going to put a hurt on the operators. The cost to fit the Type II ships with Composties, Strakes, 703's and fast fins is going to be a burden no operator can afford and still be competitive.

Take a look at the amendment(2) NIFC put out with the Q&A's. Type II machines will soon have to fly with nothing but blades (composites only need apply), power and a prayer to make performance requirements.

As far as my comment above regarding the out of country operators, I have no problem with these operators making a living but they should be on a call when needed basis only and then called when all US operations are depleted.

Between the south of the border trucking and the north of the border heli's we all need to wonder where or when will the tax paying public stand up.