New guy looking for advice!

Hi, this is my first post so just looking for some advice.

I am based in Europe and very interested in traveling to the U.S this summer to take my private license. I am currently doing a lot of research on my options ie looking at all the schools and courses on offer. Due to my size, I am over 200lbs, training on an R22 in not possible so i have been looking at schools with the S 300.

If anybody knows of a good school/course that offers the private license with the S 300 or another ship suitable for someone of my size I would be very interested to hear.

I have looked at a lot of the schools but i would like to hear from students who have passed through.

My long term goal is to achieve the commercial license and work as a pilot but i will take it one step at a time.

Any advice, thoughts, suggestions etc would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Icarus1114

Icarus- Dont rule out the R22 just cause you are over 200. I'm 6 foot 5 inches, 238 pounds and I fly the R22 all day long, I'm thankful for 160 pound CFI's !!!

Lots of reasons to fly...and not to fly..the R22...being over 200 isnt one of them,,,

PM me if you have ??? or need an R22 W&B program.

PS, not sure where in Europe you are, I know TwinAir has both an Englishman and two Italian instructors !

Good Luck, Goldy

Edited by Goldy

I am currently doing a lot of research on my options ie looking at all the schools and courses on offer.

I am sure that you have done the research on the TSA requirements, and are aware of the time it takes to get this done.

Due to my size, I am over 200lbs
Huh? Isn't this the reason for everyone's weight?

training on an R22 in not possible

Not correct. As Goldy says, you can fly R22.

However...

i have been looking at schools with the S 300

I think you would enjoy this aircraft more. In FL off the top of my head, Ormond Beach Aviation, Bristow Acadamy (HAI), Orlando Aviation. All these use 300CB as their primary trainer.

Good luck.

Joker

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would say Goldy that I am of a similar build to you in terms of height and weight. I have seen on many schools websites height and weight restrictions for the R22 and be told by one in the states there is a 200lbs weight limit on each seat. Hence me thinking it was not possible. I now know it is, thanks! As for the based in europe, it was more just to say that I am not on the ground in the states and would be traveling there specifically to learn to fly. I am based in France but I am English.

Joker thanks for the heads up about the schools in Ormond beach, I have a friend learning to be a fixed wing pilot and he told me that there were good schools there to. If you have any reviews or links or know people who have passed through it would be great to hear back.

bgmassey good luck with your plan, hit the gym and the protein and I am sure it will all work out.

thanks again

Icarus

I'm thinking about trying to gain weight, so I can only teach the small, cute girls.

Nice!

Now to Icarus, you could look at the R44 as well. A little more expensive but probably half the price as you would pay in Europe. There are several schools that will train you in this ship. The school I went to was Quantum Helicopters in Chandler AZ. Great school, great instructors, and 362 flight days a year. The primary training helicopters seem to be Robinson due to the fact that I see more ads in the jobs section looking for instructors in them, so if you are planning on eventually making a career out of flying then you may want to take that into concideration. Then again I do see ads for 300 instructors once in a while. Good luck on your decision.

Joker thanks for the heads up about the schools in Ormond beach, I have a friend learning to be a fixed wing pilot and he told me that there were good schools there to. If you have any reviews or links or know people who have passed through it would be great to hear back.

I've done time at Tomlinson Aviation in Ormond Beach, Good school and good people. If you want more information on them drop me a PM

I'm thinking about trying to gain weight, so I can only teach the small, cute girls.

I like the way you think.... :D :D

Fly safe

Clark B)

Icarus- just to be clear, the seat limits in the R22 are 240 per seat including baggage compartment. In the R44 its 300 pounds per. Overall, in an R22 you try to keep the pilot and passenger no more than 400 pounds total with baggage..which allows you enough fuel to take off.

For the record, I am not affiliated with any school..just a dumb happy helo private pilot. However, TwinAir also has a Bell 47 and an R44...which gives us the choice of 3 models to fly.

And, So. Cal is a great place to visit.

Best of luck to you, Goldy

Hmmmmm. Does that mean I'll only get to train the overweight, rough guys?? What about the fit, cute guys? :P

Edited by heligirl03

Hmmmmm. Does that mean I'll only get to train the overweight, rough guys?? What about the fit, cute guys? :P

Hey now, who said 6-5 and 238 was overweight??? Maybe not petite...but .....

Theres an easy way to tell the fit from the fat guys:

-If they cant see the collective friction on an R22..kick em out of the ship !!!

-If they have to add left pedal to fly straight and level.....its because of the fat hanging out of the door adding to your drag!

-If they need an extension bracket for the headsets to fit on their fat head

- If they keep practicing pulling the clutch fuse with you in the cockpit..they are not fat...just perverts !

Best of luck to ya

Goldy

Hey now, who said 6-5 and 238 was overweight??? Maybe not petite...but .....

-If they cant see the collective friction on an R22..kick em out of the ship !!!

-If they have to add left pedal to fly straight and level.....its because of the fat hanging out of the door adding to your drag!

-If they need an extension bracket for the headsets to fit on their fat head

- If they keep practicing pulling the clutch fuse with you in the cockpit..they are not fat...just perverts !

Best of luck to ya

Goldy

Thanks for the notes, I'll keep those in mind! :lol: Also, beware the seatbelt extenders....scary stuff! :P

I knew you guys on the west coast were a little different……… Better tell your instructor that the circuit breaker is on his side! :o :D :D :D

Pulling pitch, MP at red line, right skid 3 ft in the air and the left still firmly planted on the ground…..they may weight more than the 238 lbs that the swear they weighed this morning. <_>

........And you thought you would never use that slope takeoff and landing technique that you practiced so much.

Does that mean I'll only get to train the overweight, rough guys??

I sure hope not ;)

Fly Safe

Clark B)

I knew you guys on the west coast were a little different……… Better tell your instructor that the circuit breaker is on his side! :o :D :D :D

Pulling pitch, MP at red line, right skid 3 ft in the air and the left still firmly planted on the ground…..they may weight more than the 238 lbs that the swear they weighed this morning. <_>

........And you thought you would never use that slope takeoff and landing technique that you practiced so much.

I sure hope not ;)

Fly Safe

Clark B)

I think his tips were meant for ME instructing! And fair's fair - truth be told, I'm an East Coast transplant. You can take the girl to the Pacific but you can't get her out of the pinstripes! :P All that aside, I love it here. A bit further northwest would be good for the soul but this is a great place to learn to fly. Good people, moody weather! Perfect. :D

Oh, and I didn't know there was anything BUT a slope pickup/landing!! :lol:

Edited by heligirl03

Heligirl,

I can sense the East Coast attitude there.....Please don't have the pinstripes break my legs or anything like that........I was just giving Goldy a hard time, didn't mean to upset anyone. :)

I have nothing against either coast, I'm just stuck here in the middle with all the Midwestern beef eaters watching the corn grow. :huh:

Clark B)

I have found a school that offers the PPL on an S 300 and just wondering if anyone knows it or has passed through there? The school is Civic helicopters, did a search on here but could not find anything.

I can tell you whatever you want to know about Civic.

First off, my background. I did my PPL training at Helicopter Adventures in Concord CA and can say that I have no complaints. It was a good school. I also did some training in Van Nuys for my CPL, and got my CFI at Civic. I bounced around for a couple reasons, one was different AC experience, another was that different schools have different teaching styles. This way I was able to see how multiple schools operate and how training, maintenance, flights in general, and AC availability are taken care of.

In regards to Civic, I can recommend them highly and can tell you that the AC are in great condition (hangered every night) , maintenance is top notch (there are about 5-6 mechanics that keep busy, weather it is conducting inspections, or wiping down AC to keep it looking shiny and new), and the teaching style is great, and the owner (Chin Tu) conducts all the CFI training ground and most flight to make sure that his CFI's are top notch as well. He is passionate about the industry and I have much respect for him. Not too many schools will you find the owner interacting with the students as much and flying as much as Chin flies. He is an amazing pilot.

Now if I sound biased, I am somewhat as I am a CFI here at Civic currently but all that I am telling you is true. I have experienced other flight schools, I have seen the differences and when it came down to "who would I most like to work for," it was hands down, Civic Helicopters and I can recommend Civic 100%.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me here at Civic and I will help you in any way I can.

Sebastian

I sent an email to Tomlinson but never heard back.

Give them a little time, It's unbelievable how many e-mails they get every day. Best to call Brian if you can

Clark B)