Medical Questions

KP84

(I've tried posting this three times now and it doesn't seem to be showing...I am sorry if I am doing something wrong here)

I spent a large part of the day reading this forum..i think reached all the way back to October 2006. Anyway...questions:

1. I have had some medical problems in the past. 100% of them were when I was a child but I did have to have surgery for them. I am pretty sure this disqualifies me for any chance of being a pilot in the navy or army but would this disqualify me in the FAA eyes at all? This is what I had http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerebral_arte...us_malformation (yeah its really rare) and I had the gamma surgery. I am totally fine now, and I have no side effects or anything, but its kinda sad that it would keep me out of the military and even perhaps aviation. I am worried cause I did have a seizure once( not like you think it is..i didn't like start freaking out, just passed out) and obviously they don't want pilots doing that lol. The surgery took care of it and I haven't had one since I was in like 7th grade (22 now)....but i dunno how strict they are on these things.

2. International flying. If you get your certs and such in the US can you fly in another country? Lets say you took lessons in Australia could you fly in the US? Could you fly a heli in New Zealand if you get the lessons in the US? Is there any employment in foreign countries such as Europe, Middle East, Asia, and South America?

3. I am really good at BF2 does that mean i'll be awesome at flying real helis?( I kid I kid)

4. I've heard two stories...and i keep getting different info on this board also. If I go for my fixed wing license first..it will be cheaper to get your heli license. Is this true? Wouldn't I still need the same out of hours in the Heli which would just end up costing me more?

5. Thanks (not really a question but I like numbers)

6. I will tackle the last one. If you wish to learn how to fly fixed wings....then go learn that. If you want to fly helicopters, then go fly helicopters. You can't ( or probably won't) want to fly much without 60 or 70 hours under you...so you really arent saving anything., You need those hours for experience, or towards your commercial or CFI.

Put another way.,..you may not be any damn good at it...let alone willing to put your wife and kids in a bird and fly around if you just meet the bare minimums..

Good luck to you on the other numbers.

Goldy

1. Find an Aviation Medical Examiner, set up an appointment, and ask him/her. You can also visit Virtual Flight Surgeons and see if they have anything on that condition. It's free to look around, but you may have to pay a little to get specific advice. It would probably be worth it in the long run, and this may in fact be better than using a local AME, who may not have that much expertise in rare conditions. Doctors are like the rest of us - some good, some bad, and most mediocre. That's the definition of mediocre.

2. You would need to read the regulations for each country you want information about, because it's a function of both the country you want to fly in and the country which issued the certificate. In most cases you can't transfer the certificates, except for temporary situations like vacations, but you need to research each country for factual information. Some countries may have reciprocal agreements, most don't.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

2. You would need to read the regulations for each country you want information about, because it's a function of both the country you want to fly in and the country which issued the certificate. In most cases you can't transfer the certificates, except for temporary situations like vacations, but you need to research each country for factual information. Some countries may have reciprocal agreements, most don't.

If you have a US license - you can fly in the US and any US territories or colonies. You can also fly an N registrared aircraft in a forign country. You won't be able to exchange your US license for a EASA (european) one, or any of the other countries you mentioned. You have to do the flight tests and exams again. Now you could build flight time in another country, and then come back here for the US license test if say it was cheaper to fly helicopters in say China than here. Thats why the Bristow Academy (nee HAI) did so many european students)

It will definately not be cheaper to get your fixed wing first - and I say this because after your fixed wing ratings it is going to still take you at least 40 hours to get your helo private, becasue of all those bad habits you now do instinctively in a plane that we have to beat out of you (like turning in the pattern with your pedals for instance). Post private, there may be some cost savings if you already had fixed wing time, but as the other poster said, you will need 300 hrs in a helo to begin to teach and 1000 hrs of helo time to get your first job - so there goes your savings.

fff