Getting Into firefighting

muppetdog

I’m getting pretty close to having 1,000 hours and have been doing as much research as I can to see what I can do next. I really think firefighting would be fun but the way I see, it's kind of hard to get sling load training. I might be wrong about this I still have not looked into the industry to much, so this post is the beginning of the fact finding process.

Any of you guys who have gone through the process of becoming a firefighting/ utility pilot, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Where can I go or what is the process for learning how to sling? Is the market good for becoming a sling pilot? What companies should I check out? I guess I’m just curious how the whole thing works, and what kind of work you would start out doing.

Thanks for any info

MD

This is just grapevine research, perhaps just a starting point for your search. I've heard that Columbia helicopters in Oregon will train and after you're there for a couple of seasons, so might Temsco in AK. I believe if you fly tours for Sundance in Las Vegas, they may move you into a long line (eventually fire) job.

Again, just starting points for more research. Hope it helps.

This is just grapevine research, perhaps just a starting point for your search. I've heard that Columbia helicopters in Oregon will train and after you're there for a couple of seasons, so might Temsco in AK. I believe if you fly tours for Sundance in Las Vegas, they may move you into a long line (eventually fire) job.

Again, just starting points for more research. Hope it helps.

I would suggest maybe starting with some basic sling training..there's a school over near Fontana, Ca that does it....I know brushfire21 (Roger) did his PPL there.. they have a pretty good local reputation for their sling training.

http://www.westernhelicopters.com/pages/HeliTraining.htm

Good luck, Goldy

I saw several guys go thru the vertical reference class at Western while I was there and I was very envious of them. You can start in a 300c to save some money then transition to a 500D once you get the knack of something swinging 50'-150'ft below you, or do it all in the little egg shaped Ferrari! The primary instructor (Pete) has written several articles for multiple mags on the subject and its awesome to watch him work his magic!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question,

In the States does a pilot need to be formaly trained in longline work or just be proficient?

I work in Canada and have 800 hours of longline time, 50-180'. I fight fire or move diamond drills with a 407 or 212. If I came to the US to work would I still need to go through a formal training course or could a CP sign me off as good?

In Canada there is no such requirement and as long as you can get the job done well and safely your good. We do lot's of longline work as a regular diet though.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Coast Dog,

If you are going to be doing any longline work for the government you will need to be carded. This entails a checkride by an AMD (formally OAS) inspector pilot or a Forest Service inspector pilot. The longline ride has changed from years past. Currently, the AMD folks require you to demonstrate proficiency with a 150' line (sounds like you probably have this wired tight) and also demonstrate mountain flying skills. You will also be required to demonstrate oral knowledge of the contract requirements and the Interagency Helicopter Operations Guide. There will also probably be some discussion of limitations, load calculations, emergency procedures, some aerodynamic subjects and weight and balance. The oral examination lasted about four hours and the ride was close to two with another hour or so prior to the ride.

Other than that, a sign off is all that is required for non-govt work. By the way, Happy Canada Day! (One day late).

Fred