Flight Training in College? Need help with choices.

So I'm heading into my junior year of high school, and am 99% sure I want to become a helicopter pilot. My family has been in the industry and I would like to continue that. I know most kids dont plan for college till later, but since this is such an intensive and monetary commitment I would like to get everything figured out before I have to make a deadline on a decision.

I would also like to get a college education while I get my certifications, therefore I want a college where they offer flight training majors and such in addition to actual flight training. I have two schools in mind right now, the instate CNCC (www.cnccflight.com) which does training with Premiere Helicopters in R22s and R44s. Its a community college, so its both cheaper and shorter than my other option, UND (aero.und.edu). UND offers 4 year majors with training in 300s and Jetrangers.

My main question for you knowledgable VR members is whether it would be better to stay at the instate CC for two years, get up to CFI and everything underneath that, and then transfer to a bigger college like CU or CSU and go there while working as a local CFI. Or the other option, going out of state for what will be around $50000 more all-told, getting a 4 year degree at the same school and all the same certifications. Which seems better to you guys? From what I have seen and talked to the CNCC people it seems like CNCC is a very personal, small, good training school and I already know the chief pilot. The only cons are that its a CC, and the R22/44 is not the most comfortable helicopter for me (I'll be about 6'4" and 250 by the time college rolls around.) UND would obviously have better equipment and probably better instructors, but is it really worth the extra money that it will cost? I also worry about there being a more impersonal and dettached school, since they invariably have more people to instruct.

I know thats a long winded and tough post, but any input from experienced people would be immensely helpful. I cant really talk personally with these people until I actually go to the campus visits, probably next year and my guidance counselor at high school really doesnt know what shes talking about. :P Any help you could offer would be amazing!

I think it depends on what your end goal is do you intend to fly untill your blind and someone makes you retire or do you want to fly for awhile then move into more of a managment situation. If your only interested in the flight and just want the degree for backup and to be a little more marketable then I would go with the comunity college because no one in the industry is really gonna care to much about anything more than you actually have a degree. But if you think you may one day move on then go with the real college as it will look better. I know its a long ways off but you come from a family that flys so you know what the life is like and at this stage all you can really do is plan it out anyways.

Oh and ditto on that guidance counsler not knowing what they are talking about, I grew up over by Grand Junction and they were useless.

Edited by mtbman07

I think it depends on what your end goal is do you intend to fly untill your blind and someone makes you retire or do you want to fly for awhile then move into more of a managment situation. If your only interested in the flight and just want the degree for backup and to be a little more marketable then I would go with the comunity college because no one in the industry is really gonna care to much about anything more than you actually have a degree. But if you think you may one day move on then go with the real college as it will look better. I know its a long ways off but you come from a family that flys so you know what the life is like and at this stage all you can really do is plan it out anyways.

Oh and ditto on that guidance counsler not knowing what they are talking about, I grew up over by Grand Junction and they were useless.

Yea, I live in Littleton. My counselor automatically assumes pilot means Air Force or airline pilot.

And if I transferred to an instate university from the CC I could probably acquire a degree, but like you said hours are more important than a degree as a pilot.

(I'll be about 6'4" and 250 by the time college rolls around.)

Better keep that weight under 240 or you will only be flying 44's. The R22 has a 240 max seat limit.

And pretty tight quarters for 6-4, although I still fly them at 6-5..The R44 is a breeze for bigger guys..lots of leg room, pretty comfy, just double the money.

Edited by Goldy