Tail Boom

:blink: :lol:

Maybe that's why he called it a tail BOOM.

No, seriously. The only way to avoid the necessity for said tail rotor is two counterrotating main rotors (or a NOTAR).

Although, I'd really appreciate any input by pilots having flown both as to how control differs.

Cheers,

Lance

No, seriously. The only way to avoid the necessity for said tail rotor is two counterrotating main rotors (or a NOTAR).

He didn't ask about a tail rotor, he asked about a tail boom. And the NOTAR still has a tail boom....

Sorry, :rolleyes: it is a really odd question anyway.... :unsure:

He didn't ask about a tail rotor, he asked about a tail boom. And the NOTAR still has a tail boom....

Sorry, :rolleyes: it is a really odd question anyway.... :unsure:

I'm assuming that Vincent figures a tailboom to be a disadvantage because it is a component of a helicopter that extends beyond the radius of the rotor blades and usually, you put a very sensitive piece of equipment on the very end.

Now if I'm not mistaken, some elementary physics comes into play. If you were to remove the tail boom, you'd have to create another way to counteract the moment produced by the main rotor. To give the same results as a long tailboom you'd need to attach an engine/thruster system producing considerably more thrust than the tail rotor because of the decrease in moment-arm.

I think it is easier and more efficient to have the tail boom and tail rotor.

Someone can double check me on this in case I've got it wrong.