Question

I have a few questions for anyone who my be able to help.

1. What are some of the alternatives to being a flight instructor when you get a license?

2.When you go to a school that doesn't use the most common aircrafts does that seriously affect your chances at getting hired as an instructor for another school?

3.This one is for the more recent grads. Once you have hit the 1000hr mark, how long did it take you to get a good commercial job?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ryan

ryan5102,

Q. What are some of the alternatives to being a flight instructor when you get a license?

A. Being really lucky or knowing the right people that will hire you with very low hours.

Q. When you go to a school that doesn't use the most common aircrafts does that seriously affect your chances at getting hired as an instructor for another school?

A. I'm assuming you are talking about Schweitzer (correct me if I'm wrong). If you have the opportunity, then get time in both Robinson and Schweitzer helicopters, it can make you more desirable to a prospective employer.

Q. This one is for the more recent grads. Once you have hit the 1000hr mark, how long did it take you to get a good commercial job?

A. I got lucky and was in the right place at the right time and got a corporate job with less than 1000 hrs. From what I understand (I have many friends that fly in the GOM and tours) it is not difficult to obtain employment after reaching the magic 1000. Recently, a friend of mine went to an interview with Airlogistics and there were a total of nine pilots interviewing for utility pilot positions, they were all offered a job.

Hope that helps.

--CM