Skidmarks on my heart...

Witch

I went flying with Jerry yesterday, and during the flight, I asked him to show me a full-down auto. He said sure.

OK, so we're at about 500'AGL coming up on the runway. He chops the throttle and down we go. I'm smiling already at the prospect of surviving a controlled non-crash. So, at about what looks to me about 30' AGL, he starts the flare and rolls the throttle into the detent. It seems that the nose is about 45 degrees as I notice the rotor RPM shoot for the red zone. It seems like we stay in this attitude for at least an hour or so until he levels the machine and we hit the ground at about 500 MPH and skid another 100 miles. I'm laughing so hard I'm peeing my pants.

That my friends was an eye opener-I gotta learn that? I thought the slopes were bad enough when I start skidding down and have to add cyclic and power to skid back up the slope.

Anyway, it was a fun flight. I need to have him teach me a few tricks too.

Later

Witch, have you started doing run on landings yet or emergency landings with loss of pedals and doing run on landings using throttle or "hover autos" to terminate? Those will be some fun times if you haven't!

Guest rookie101
I went flying with Jerry yesterday, and during the flight, I asked him to show me a full-down auto. He said sure.

OK, so we're at about 500'AGL coming up on the runway. He chops the throttle and down we go. I'm smiling already at the prospect of surviving a controlled non-crash. So, at about what looks to me about 30' AGL, he starts the flare and rolls the throttle into the detent. It seems that the nose is about 45 degrees as I notice the rotor RPM shoot for the red zone. It seems like we stay in this attitude for at least an hour or so until he levels the machine and we hit the ground at about 500 MPH and skid another 100 miles. I'm laughing so hard I'm peeing my pants.

That my friends was an eye opener-I gotta learn that? I thought the slopes were bad enough when I start skidding down and have to add cyclic and power to skid back up the slope.

Anyway, it was a fun flight. I need to have him teach me a few tricks too.

Later

Ya that was pretty cool to watch witch. Berney and I were standing near the office and I was saying, "roll on, roll on, roll on!" but BAM, he set that thing right down like he had done it a million times. You guys didn't skid too far, but it was still way cool! I can't wait to do one with him :D.