Being Replaced

Does anyone ever wonder about being replaced. I saw a show a while back about how this guy investing millions to build a so called "aircar" that will take off like a helicopter, has an advanced computer control and can be flown without a whole lot of effort or learning curve. He said the first ones they build will be EMS and police versions and ready for production in 10-20 years. Then the other thing I wonder about is fuel. Fuel for are cars is a big thing right now, but how will it impact us flying in 10-20 years?

Does anyone ever wonder about being replaced. I saw a show a while back about how this guy investing millions to build a so called "aircar" that will take off like a helicopter, has an advanced computer control and can be flown without a whole lot of effort or learning curve. He said the first ones they build will be EMS and police versions and ready for production in 10-20 years. Then the other thing I wonder about is fuel. Fuel for are cars is a big thing right now, but how will it impact us flying in 10-20 years?

Improvise, adapt and overcome...continuing ed is ALWAYS a good thing :)

Yeah well if it's the Moller Skycar that guy can keep dreaming, he hasn't even flown it untethered and it has been in development for years and years and years.... :blink:

There are some interesting concepts, like the BA609, Sikorsky X2, CarterCopter, etc, but most of those are more helicopter than airplane, and as always, we will continue to learn the new aircraft as they come out. The BA609 requires a powered lift rating, though I don't know of a place where you can actually get that.

Untill they can figure out how to make an "aircar" autorotate........I think our jobs are secure. :blink:

Most light helicopters don't have autopilots, much less something capable of semi-autonomous control of the vehicle with Mr Potatohead at the controls. Paying passengers? No way. And, EMS is a couple of magnitudes more difficult.

Of the issues challenging the "Skycar", the controls are the EASY part. The mechanical complexity means a nightmare of reliability and failure scenarios to deal with. Not to mention integrating it into the airspace system.

I am awaiting the day that NASA 'unleashes' its technology/physics/science for their "anti-gravity" chamber ( ya know--the one they use to train the astronauts). THEN, the 'skycar' will be in EVERY garage, & helicopters & jet-travel will become obsolete. The only real problem i see? ( prolly pigs, cows & elephants will steel it B4 it's available to the general public) :blink: ;) :lol: