Would you do this in a helicopter?

This is the type of flying I mainly do.. How common is it to do this type of stuff in a helicopter?

http://www.rotor-head.com/video/oc_river.html

Edited by Shawn Adams

This is the type of flying I mainly do.. How common is it to do this type of stuff in a helicopter?

http://www.rotor-head.com/video/oc_river.html

The ntsb website is full of people who fly like this. OK, I had to be the first to say it. Great flying, great scenery, great photography and in the right ship, with local knowledge of the area, its a lot of fun and fairly safe if you maintain your airspeed/altitude minimums. I dont fly autogyro's so I dont know what those minimums are.

For a new pilot in an R22, that first climb and push over would probably have killed him.

For an experienced pilot flying low in a new area, a small power line stretched across the river to feed a well would take him out.

Sorry to be the safety police. I've just seen a few too many times where things have turned to crap in a hurry.

Goldy

Sorry to be the safety police. I've just seen a few too many times where things have turned to crap in a hurry.

Goldy

no worries and thanks for the comments. I posted this comment on the gyro forum before I even put the video up. It's a pre-bad-make-your-own-conclusion statement...

As a filmmaker, I scout and choose angles and ideas that make the project I am working on as impact-full and energetic as I can. As an example. I use a long lens while flying through a row of trees (that may be 50-100 feet apart), giving the illusion that I barely fit.. or fly over water with LZs within (non-visible) glide accessibility from the cameras perspective. I may not always show the safe landing areas that litter the land that I fly in. With this said... I would like to post my video WITHOUT a slew of "Hey, you're dangerous" or "stupid" or whatever, because I take my flying very serious and I am extremely careful. I am not a complacent pilot, even with over 400 hours in my gyrocopter. I scout and do high dry runs before we even pull out the camera to shoot.

However, please feel free to comment and speak your mind, just please be aware of my position and know that MY GOAL IS TO MAKE IT LOOK EXCITING, FAST AND EVEN A BIT DANGEROUS through the magic of cameras and editing.

Edited by Shawn Adams

MY GOAL IS TO MAKE IT LOOK EXCITING, FAST AND EVEN A BIT DANGEROUS through the magic of cameras and editing.

That you did well. If I wasnt already a pilot I would be going out and buying one of those go kart thingies right now !

Honestly, I love watching the auto's fly. I head up to the fly-in north of Los Angeles every year just to walk around. Of course, I usually like to fly a certificated aircraft up there !!

When are you coming out with a similar video of you in an R22? That would be something every flight school would use.

Glad you took my comments as intended, and not as a slam.

Goldy

Hey Shawn,

Last time I did that kind of flying was in a Cobra. Long time ago. :lol: I had a Air Command in 2000 that I was converting to the elite package and had thoughts of putting a Hirth fuel injected engine on it. Do you have the 582 on that one? Turns out a friend needed to sell his PPC so I only had room for one in the garage at the time. Plus the PPC was a 2 seater so my wife would fly with me. ;)

Great videos.........makes me want to sell my bike and get another one.

Take it easy and be careful,

Gary