Helicopter Headsets for rally cars

owdlvr

A good friend and I are looking for a less expensive option for practice headsets in our rally cars. When racing the cars we all wear Peltor helmets with built in mics and headsets. Between rally stages, however, it's a good feeling to remove the helmet and transit to the next stage without. The cars are too loud to talk during this time, so typically rally teams will have "practice headsets" with which to travel.

You'd be hard pressed to find a visual difference between a helicopter headset and a rally headset. Both use the same U174 connector, though they are pinned differently (no big deal, we'll repin).

In order to modify a Helicopter headset for rally car use (we're told), we need to do the following: 1) re-wire the connector and 2) remove the NR board from the right ear cup.

So, that leaves me with three questions:

1) Anyone have used headsets they want to sell? Eventually we need to end up with four.

2) Where would be a good place to look for inexpensive helicopter headsets? We're watching ebay, though we're hoping for a more 'immediate' solution.

3) Since the noise reduction feature isn't that important to us (we have to remove the electronic noise reduction and run with insulation only)...what models/brands should we be looking for?

Thanks in advance,

-Dave

I'm not sure you'd need to remove any NR electronics whatsoever.

Sigtronics has several inexpensive headsets that'll work, if you don't mind buying them new. You might also try an avionics shop or flight school that might have old headsets available.

Another stupid idea I was thinking was to look at building some out of earmuffs. You could get parts from other sources and customize as seen fit. Options are unlimited. Earmuffs, speakers, mike boom and mike, and wiring are all you need and I bet could be had for around a hundred bucks.

Use your imagination.

Later

The first thing you have to know is the impedance of the car system. If it's low, then standard helicopter headsets won't work well. You'll be able to hear, sort of, although not loud, but the mikes won't work. Military mikes would work, though, because they're low impedance. Without knowing the impedance, you may be wasting your money.