Flying the F28

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Nat3hCFI,

The only way an Enstrom feels like a truck without power steering, is if you do not properly use the cyclic trim system. If you learn how to develope the proper use for the trim system, it is very stable and yet responsive machine.

When I transitoned from Robinsons to Enstroms, I found it took several hours to get use to the trim and the manual throttle. Once you get use to it, it's a great flying helicopter. I have also convinced several of my Robinson buddies of the same.

The feel of the cyclic is very simular to that of a Hughes 500C or OH-6, since it's also a fully articulated rotor system with a forced trim system. In forward flight with smooth air, you can trim either helicopter for "hands-off" the cyclic. Try that in an R-22! I can also take my hand off the throttle and collective once the power is set in forward flight and never touch it, untill starting the approach.

There is a pilot from England that performs a very impressive airshow routine in the 280C Shark and the 480 turbine. By the way, the feel of the piston model Enstroms is very simular to the 480 turbine since they both use the same rotor system.

I have about 150 hours in my 1980 Enstrom F-28C-2 and trade-off flight time with my buddies in their R-22's, R-44's, a Hughes 500C and Jet Rangers. They all have their strong/weak points. The only other piston powered helo I would consider over my Enstrom is an R-44 Raven II.

:;):

Now that I've flown it for a few hours, I agree with Ga. Chopper about the stable flight characteristics of the Enstrom.  The trim in the 280FX I've flown was pretty impressive.  I wish that it had some kind of button that would automatically return the trim to the rigged neutral position though.  You definately have to manipulate the trim quite a bit on approach so you don't fight against the cyclic pressure.

• 4 months later...

I learnt to fly in an F280 shark at El Monte, California.

Had an engine failure due to vapour lock they told me. Put it down on a street. A little damage.

Found the helicopter a great machine to fly, did a lot of hours around Southern California.

Deeper.

• 1 month later...

I learnt to fly in an F280 shark at El Monte, California.

Had an engine failure due to vapour lock they told me. Put it down on a street. A little damage.

Found the helicopter a great machine to fly, did a lot of hours around Southern California.

Deeper.

I would be very skeptical of an engine failure due to vapor lock while the engine is operating above 2,000 RPM. But if the engine RPM was abrupty reduced below 2,000 and it quit, it is most likely due to improper idle mixture settings or a faulty fuel servo. This is referenced in the Enstrom flight manual.

rotorheadsmiley

• 16 years later...
  • 10 months later...