How not to fly your Schweizer 300

Pac Av PNG

I remember we had a video tape of this guy back in ohhhhhh, prolly 1989. Just goes to show ya, if ya sit in it long enuf--you WILL convince yourself that you can fly it. He wasnt doin' all that bad, until he took the T/R off w/ the pavement--only took 30 seconds too,, verrry impressive :blink: Gottah give him credit tho, lookie like he missed all of the airplanes that were about :unsure:

I wonder if he documented his 30 seconds?

1) "the dumbest thing i ever did"

2) "how i destroyed my helicopter in less than 30 seconds"

3) "the day i almost killed myself"

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,take yer pick--i vote #1--opps ! i changed my mind,, i vote for number 4 "whatta ride!"

Anyone have a link to the NTSB report? I bet that'd be an interesting read lol.

edited for #4 vote

N E 1 get the N number?

Edited by pokey

Here we go ... NTSB LAX87LA190

Brief of accident (from NTSB Probable Cause report):

"A HUGHES 269B WENT OUT OF CONTROL AND COLLIDED WITH THE GROUND DURING A T/O TO A HOVER. THE PILOT HAD PURCHASED THE AIRCRAFT RECENTLY AND WAS LEARNING TO FLY IT. HE WAS SCHEDULED FOR HIS FIRST FLIGHT LESSON ON THE DAY OF THE ACCIDENT. THE CFI REPORTED THAT HE HAD TOLD THE STUDENT PILOT TO WAIT FOR HIM AND NOT TO TOUCH ANYTHING. WHILE WAITING FOR THE FLIGHT INSTRUCTOR, THE NON ROTORCRAFT RATED STUDENT PILOT STARTED THE AIRCRAFT, RAN IT UP TO FULL RPM, AND THEN BEGAN TO INCREASE THE COLLECTIVE PITCH CONTROL. THE HELICOPTER CLIMBED VERTICALLY TO A HIGH HOVER AND THE PILOT LOST CONTROL. THE PILOT STATED THAT HE HAD NOT RELEASED THE CYCLIC FRICTION BEFORE BECOMING AIRBORNE. THE PILOT INDICATED HE HAD ABOUT500 HOURS OF FLIGHT TIME BUT DID NOT SPECIFY THE TYPE AND NO SUBSTANTIATION OF THE TIME COULD BE MADE."

Reports from NTSB website:

NTSB - Factual

NTSB - Probable Cause