NASA Flight Safety Survey

kodoz

For some reason, this doesn't give me a warm-fuzzy feeling...

Anxious to avoid upsetting air travelers, NASA is withholding results from an unprecedented national survey of pilots that found safety problems like near collisions and runway interference occur far more frequently than the government previously recognized.

Just last week, NASA ordered the contractor that conducted the survey to purge all related data from its computers.

"Release of the requested data, which are sensitive and safety-related, could materially affect the public confidence in, and the commercial welfare of, the air carriers and general aviation companies whose pilots participated in the survey," [senior NASA official, associate administrator Thomas S.] Luedtke wrote.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/111...ty_Secrets.html

Sounds like the purpose of this data is misunderstood. NASA uses this data to design an infrastructure for our safety in aviation, and make recommendations to the FAA for air safety.

If this is part of the same data that NASA uses for a pilot's "get out of jail free card" as it's been called, I understand why they are not releasing the data...

1. There is a chance releasing the data will do more harm than good to aviation safety, because we pilots will not be guaranteed anonymity, therefore pilots will *not* continue to voluntarily participate in the survey. Participating in the survey allows you to anonymously report a safety infraction, something that may or may not be a violation. The FAA is not allowed to collect and use the information as evidence against you as a pilot. ...Hence the survey will become useless for NASA's safety research efforts if it is released to someone that will not guard the privacy of the data.

2. ...What will the press do now if they get hold of the survey? Sensationalize it! Obviously! Try to scare the general public to death.

Edited by nbit

If this is part of the same data that NASA uses for a pilot's "get out of jail free card" as it's been called, I understand why they are not releasing the data...

It's not from the Air Safety Reporting System (ASRS). It's from surveys of pilots who were asked about the safety of their operating environment, and all participants (pilots and commercial airlines) were guaranteed anonymity. The study includes info on bird strikes, mid-air collisions, runway incursions, and problems with ATC clearances. The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing there is one. The media might sensationalize it, but it's information that we could put to good use.

... The first step to fixing a problem is recognizing there is one. ...
Quite true, but considering that the actual fatal accident incident rate has gone down by 65% during the period of the study, is there a problem? While falling short of the 80% reduction that the White House commission originally proposed, that's pretty significant all the same. Especially in light of the fact that operations have increased significantly during over the same time. Don't misunderstand me, as long as there are accidents at all (fatal, non-fatal, property damage, or not) there is certainly room for improvement.

... The media might sensationalize it, but it's information that we could put to good use.
Who are we and how can such data be put to good use? As pilots, I feel we all recognize the importance (or at least should recognize the importance) of constant diligence with respect to the safety aspects of flying, and [hopefully] learn from our and/or others mistakes. Aside from not flying at all, is there more we can do? (serious question)

To me the story seems to be sensationalistic media by-line material and little else.

Bob

Edited by relyon