Questions for those with GOM experience.

BJH

EMS, sometimes. Companies quit, move, or get bought out, and hospitals get out of the business. The GOM is probably the most stable, because the oil companies are going to be there as long as there is oil, and it doesn't move very much. The oil companies also will always make huge profits, and aren't about to quit using helicopters. Flying for a Part 91 operator can mean coming to work one day and finding that your job is gone. I've seen it happen to several pilots I know. If you want to fly for a living, work for a company which only flies. The GOM, as bad as it can be, goes on forever.

Edited by Gomer Pylot

Thanks for the reply Gomer. Per your experience, what fields, in this industry, have the reputation of requiring a lot of moving around?

BJH

Pardon me while I butt in...

The Gulf is "stable", probably the most "stable" long term. Quotes because it's a conditional stability- you'll be working in the Gulf, and you could spend years, decades even, on the same contract at the same base. On the other hand, the base where I spent 11 years, the second largest base PHI had at the time, is a single ship base now. Bases move, jobs move, and as long as you accept that, you're fine. There were hardly any bases that I'd live near, given a choice. That can be a definite plus, however, vs being 10 minutes from the job- as I am now...

EMS is a little more stable, but bases open, close, move and change vendors. A vendor change can mean changing paychecks, or it can mean submitting to the whole interview/rehire process again. The good news is that a competent pilot in place is a valuable commodity to the new vendor, but you may not see that reflected in compensation, just a job offer. Less stability seems especially true the last few years as the preferred business model slants toward free-standing, community-based operations, from traditional hospital-based operation. "Community-based" are all conditional on market. Drawback- hardly any EMS operators provide housing or assistance.

Edited by Wally

It's very true that the center of operations in the Gulf moves around a lot. You can't count on being at one base indefinitely, but moving to different bases is just a matter of driving further, or maybe even not as far. There will be bases in the marshes somewhere. The job market for pilots changes, just as the job markets for all occupations change. Overall, there is probably less stability for pilots of all persuasions, and probably less for helicopter pilots, but there are many different situations.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to change the subject too much but is there a significant difference in the maintenance programs with the GOM companies? I guess what I'm really wondering is are the bigger companies like PHI, AirLog, etc better with their maintenance? I've heard some disconcerting stories from guys...I'm considering this market also and am just looking for anything you've heard?