Insurance for Private Ownership

lwalling

I've been shopping for insurance and financing recently for a prospective R44 purchase.

I've obtained a few quotes, some of which are insanely expensive (AIG takes the cake so far at $33,000 for non-income use).

Who do you suggest for insurance coverage. I know Pathfinder is an option, but would prefer not to use them if I can find real coverage at within 30%~ of Pathfinder which I think should be possible.

Yes, I am a new rotorcraft pilot, so that will drive the premiums up that much more.

On the lending front - if anyone is interested - Dorr Aviation and Airfleet Capital have been the most competitive, flexible, and responsive of those I've contacted (quite a few ..). Dorr has been selected this point, and provided their approval in less than 24 hours.

Thanks.

How many hours do you have? That is really going to determine which markets are interested. Contact the Sutton James brokerage if you haven't already, they offer the Robinson program through AIG, and it is calculated at a reduced rate compared to the typical AIG premium. I'd stay away from Pathfinder unless you can't find anything else, there is a lot of fine print in their policies (like if Robinson is sued they can use up your liability limit to defend themselves, and if you wreck the helicopter you have to transport it at your expense to Robinson's facility). Unfortunately, with helicopter insurance, everything is insanely expensive, and since you're financing the helicopter you'll need full hull coverage. PM me if you need help figuring out who a good broker is if Sutton James can't get you a quote. A lot of the times it's the agent's relationship with an underwriter that can get the job done.

I've been shopping for insurance and financing recently for a prospective R44 purchase.

I've obtained a few quotes, some of which are insanely expensive (AIG takes the cake so far at $33,000 for non-income use).

Who do you suggest for insurance coverage. I know Pathfinder is an option, but would prefer not to use them if I can find real coverage at within 30%~ of Pathfinder which I think should be possible.

Yes, I am a new rotorcraft pilot, so that will drive the premiums up that much more.

On the lending front - if anyone is interested - Dorr Aviation and Airfleet Capital have been the most competitive, flexible, and responsive of those I've contacted (quite a few ..). Dorr has been selected this point, and provided their approval in less than 24 hours.

Thanks.

Thanks. Sutton James seems to be very good so far, and are providing me with a quotation. The lady I spoke to there is extremely knowledgeable on Robinsons.

How many hours do you have? That is really going to determine which markets are interested. Contact the Sutton James brokerage if you haven't already, they offer the Robinson program through AIG, and it is calculated at a reduced rate compared to the typical AIG premium. I'd stay away from Pathfinder unless you can't find anything else, there is a lot of fine print in their policies (like if Robinson is sued they can use up your liability limit to defend themselves, and if you wreck the helicopter you have to transport it at your expense to Robinson's facility). Unfortunately, with helicopter insurance, everything is insanely expensive, and since you're financing the helicopter you'll need full hull coverage. PM me if you need help figuring out who a good broker is if Sutton James can't get you a quote. A lot of the times it's the agent's relationship with an underwriter that can get the job done.

• 1 month later...
Thanks. Sutton James seems to be very good so far, and are providing me with a quotation. The lady I spoke to there is extremely knowledgeable on Robinsons.

Wanted to wrap this thread up right: I researched the sun and the moon, and chose Sutton James. The premium was steep, but hey thats relative because they are all steep. $19k bought me a year of real insurance with a 280k hull value, the underwriter required a flight review 200nm away from me prior to allowing solo flight, and restricts off airport landings until 100hrs. Others weren't so limiting. But, I'll take the cautious underwriter willing to cut me a little break monetarily in exchange for a little commitment from me that improves my overall ability to operate the aircraft.

It is real insurance - which as a new pilot I felt I need, Pathfinder was not that much cheaper.

And honestly, the flight review was enjoyable, it was entirely conducted by Mike Russell at Prestige Helicopters in Atlanta who by all measures is a kick ass guy from the time I spent with him, nice approach to emergency procedures and such - plus he has enthusiasm for what he's doing and that means a lot to me. Not to mention he spent way more time with me than he billed me for, and was there quite late doing it. Flying out of KPDK at night was a good experience for me!

I can also solidly recommend Falcon Insurance, via my general carrier USAA, they were very responsive. Though, Sutton James had the most hits on people willing to insure me as a new pilot - and I believe in such a small industry that personal broker/underwriter relationship is important. Everyone was able to quote AIG at $33k a year which I enjoyed :). Talk about expensive.

Edited by lwalling

wow, heart attack time... 19k to fly a R44 as a private pilot.... You'd probabally have been better served to rent until you had more time. That insurance is so steep the cost per hour becomes outrageous. I hope you plan on flying ALOT.

As much as I suppose I could afford that, I would probabally choose not too. I purchased my helicopter outright and don't insure it. I've had a helicopter for 12 years without a hitch.... Guess that's the price you pay when you borrow on the aircraft.

The day after I received my private, I took a guy flying to his home on the river in a remote Idaho canyon... I must admit I was a little scared back then. I guess I'm risky.

wow, heart attack time... 19k to fly a R44 as a private pilot.... You'd probabally have been better served to rent until you had more time. That insurance is so steep the cost per hour becomes outrageous. I hope you plan on flying ALOT.

As much as I suppose I could afford that, I would probabally choose not too. I purchased my helicopter outright and don't insure it. I've had a helicopter for 12 years without a hitch.... Guess that's the price you pay when you borrow on the aircraft.

The day after I received my private, I took a guy flying to his home on the river in a remote Idaho canyon... I must admit I was a little scared back then. I guess I'm risky.

Liability alone is $4k. You don't insure at all? What happens if you have an engine failure at night, auto into the darkness below and cause damage to property, or worse.. people. There are so many variables with these things....

When I set foot in my ship, I had 59 flight hours. Cash, or financing, insurance is something I would buy either way for myself. I will most likely buy liability only in the future when my experience level is up, as you see, hull damage coverage is crazy expensive.

Even "cheap insurance" from Pathfinder would have cost me $16k.

Oh yeah.. I'm a risk taker to :) Don't you have to be to fly helicopters?

Nope.. don't insure at all.. I admit, probabally riskier than I should be as liability wouldn't be too bad $2k or so for me...

In all reality, there are very few times to fly at night... so the risk of a night auto is slim and the city I live in is small and sparsely populated. I don't insure my fixed wings either. I'm a believer in self insurance in the aviation world... while I don't set aside funds for the possible crash.. the cost isn't going to be the loss of the aircraft. I figure I have the other insurances necessary to protect myself (life, health, disability).

• 2 months later...

Apiaguy - Why don't you let me get you a quote just for grins? My name is Airika (pronounced "Erica") and I'm with Sutton James.... It's the claim you don't think of that's going to get you. For example, I had a guy lose his engine in flight. He did a full down auto into a farmer's field and walked away unharmed, but the helicopter caught fire and did substantial damage to the crops. Even worse was the damage done by the fire trucks and equipment used to remove the aircraft. The farmer sued the helicopter owner, big time. Luckily the guy had coverage. He got a new helicopter and didn't have to pay the farmer a cent.... 860-249-8066.