IFR Helicopters

slick1537

As to "IFR helicopters", a lot depends on your definition- if you mean working IFR ships, there's not many. They're not unusual, there's just not a lot of them (as contradictory as that sounds) in the three phases of the industry that I've seen'em: Offshore; EMS; and corporate. If the intent of your question is "IFR certified", then there's more birds. After that, there's various levels of equipment that help you survive an inadvertent WX encounter. The EMS AStar I fly on the job is better equipped (except autopilot) than many IFR aircraft I flew "in the day".

The rating is life insurance for you as a pilot, and a means to cull applicants.

They're fairly common. All transport-category (>9 pax seats) are IFR certified, plus some smaller ones, such as the EC135. They aren't always flown IFR, but they can do it, and it's not unusual. There are lots of them around the world - not as many as there are small single-engine models, but they're far from rare. If you expect to fly anything larger than a 206, you will need an instrument rating, and many operators require a rating for those, because it makes you a better pilot.

How would an IFR rated 407 pilot be better than a VFR 206 pilot, if all their other experience was equal?

Hmmm. If we were flying along at night and flew into a cloud, I would rather be with the IFR rated guy in a 407 than the VFR guy in a 206. Wouldnt you ?

How would an IFR rated 407 pilot be better than a VFR 206 pilot, if all their other experience was equal?

Is this a serious question? You must be new.

I guess if all you ever flew was DVFR in clear weather, probably not much. But if you fly commercially in the real world where weather is unpredictable and/or marginal for any length of time, then hands down I'd put my family with an IFR rated pilot. If the VFR only pilot is flying around in those conditions, he is just an incident or accident waiting to happen.

Besides a better potential for survival in an IIMC situation- that's not an "IF", it's a "WHEN", because you WILL have an IIMC event if you're a pro- the IFR trained pilot will have more knowledge about practically everything. Has nothing to do with the 407 vs 206, it's a byproduct of the training required for the rating.

Knew I was gonna get some heat for asking, just wanted to see what answers I'd get. Interesting. I guess I have a very different opinion on what makes a better pilot from some folks. Each to his/her own, not gonna preach my opinion.

Is this a serious question? You must be new.

Been flying operational IFR for over a year now, so still fairly new to it I guess. Thanks for the concern!! Oh wait I get it... you were being condescending. Nice.

West C- I was going to go into great lengths about the additional skill it takes to fly in IMC, the skills of entering a hold, knowing where you are, keeping the ship upright and all that....BUT I am not an instrument rated pilot. I just finished my ground school of about 100 hours of Instrument training and I think my head is going to explode.

I think your point is the ticket does not make the pilot. Plenty of experienced pilots who are VFR are safer than some of the pilots I have met that are IFR. In fact, I can say the same for CFI's..a few of which are absolutely clueless ! I have attended classes with some that would ask questions that a brand new student might ask..but I digress.

Congrats on the IFR.....I would still want to be in the 407 vs the 206 !

Goldy

You nailed it Goldy. Even IFR pilots can push the weather, over confident in their training and the machine. Been there, done it and nearly shat myself!

Favorite saying:

When it's not good enough to go VFR go IFR

When it's not good enough to go IFR... go VFR.

Is it wrong to enjoy going 200kts at 300' over the ocean? :lol:

Having IFR experience makes you a more precise pilot, used to maintaining an exact altitude and heading, and paying attention to detail, watching the instruments, and dividing attention as necessary. The skills necessary for flying IFR transfer to VFR flying, and make you better at flying in general, just as any other experience helps. It can help you if you get into inadvertant IMC, but it's more helpful in teaching you not to get into IMC in the first place. IIMC is at the bottom of the list, IMO. You do not want to go there, ever.