Kings DVD/CD-ROM Test courses

In July/August I am going to relocate and get my licenses to become a professional pilot. To save money I am looking into taking the ground exams myself. With the DVD/CD-Roms costing $368 per course is it worth doing ($1500.00 for Private, Commercial, Instrument & CFI courses). I understand that I will still need to pay for some ground instruction, so will this save me enough money to make it worth doing on my own?

Is there anywhere that I can purchase used DVD/CD-Roms are there other options.

Thanks for you advice!!

Also, any advise on good schools would also be appreciated. It's tough deciding on a school. I live in the Philadelphia area, but plan to relocate anywhere in the country.

Sluggo, keep a look out on ebay. There was an instrument course from sporty's that went for around $70 less than retail.

I think that after you were finished with the courses you could sell them or keep them for review.

After paying for ground instruction, if you still have trouble understanding you might end up paying more.

When looking for a place to train keep in mind weather patterns for that area, in addition to your chances of being

hired by that school.

Look at ads for instructors and pay attention to the most common requirements, then compare pricing at schools.

If possible spend some time talking to students and staff at your prospected schools.

Keep digging on this site as well. There are some free online books, advice and school reviews!

In July/August I am going to relocate and get my licenses to become a professional pilot. To save money I am looking into taking the ground exams myself. With the DVD/CD-Roms costing $368 per course is it worth doing ($1500.00 for Private, Commercial, Instrument & CFI courses). I understand that I will still need to pay for some ground instruction, so will this save me enough money to make it worth doing on my own?

Search the archives...this is a topic that's come up before. The 2 lessons I remember from those posts were:

• Passing the written is not the same as getting competent ground instruction. I (and some others) have used dauntless-soft's test preps. They're good, but only for learning the test. I think the PPL-CFII pack goes for under $150. Basically its an FAA test-question database, but with decent explanations and some tricks for dealing with certain questions accompanying the answers. They do have a sign-off mode, but it is extra. Their checkride software is pretty useless tho (my opinion).
  • Read the books before starting. Another thing u can search the archives for. Start with the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook (FAA), the AIM, Principles of...(by a guy named Wagtendonk), and another FAA book (the PHAK...pilots handbook of aeronautical knowledge I think). There are also some good FAA weather books. Read those before you start and you'll be way ahead of the game. This list might be helpful.
  • One I'll add: If you're at a 141 school, tell them you've done your ground and just need sign-offs for it. Show them you know it and don't need to be re-taught it.

I think if you find those old posts, you'll see that the few guys who did use the King school videos liked them, but most of us didn't use them. Cost was the major factor--I did look on eBay and they were pretty rare. There may be an end-user-license agreement that prohibits their resale.

--c

I did see an ad in AOPAs Flight Training magazine today for rentals on the King videos, so color me wrong on the EULA.