Garmin 296

TheLorax

Just picked up a Garmin 296. The unit looks great and seems to work well also. Plenty of features. The only one feature that it is missing though is for some way to MAYBE mount this onto a kneeboard or strap it to my leg? Even a mount on the wind screen? I looked on Sporty's website for a suction-cup mount but I couldn't find one..

The type of flying I do requires lots of greater than 60 degree banks and pulling plenty of G's. Any ideas on how to mount this big fat sucker onto me or the helicopter effectively? Maybe even cheaply?

Thanks y'all

Just picked up a Garmin 296. The unit looks great and seems to work well also. Plenty of features. The only one feature that it is missing though is for some way to MAYBE mount this onto a kneeboard or strap it to my leg? Even a mount on the wind screen? I looked on Sporty's website for a suction-cup mount but I couldn't find one..

The type of flying I do requires lots of greater than 60 degree banks and pulling plenty of G's. Any ideas on how to mount this big fat sucker onto me or the helicopter effectively? Maybe even cheaply?

Thanks y'all

Put that thing in a robbie, you might have a CG problem.

I have a Garmin 196 that I use for both flying and driving. When I drive, I use the bean bag mount provided by the manufacturer, but for flying, I got a RAM mount. The suction cup sticks on any smooth flat surface (it does have to be pretty flat so the seal isn't broken), and it locks/unlocks with a turn of a clamp. I've heard people caution against have a mount like this in JetRangers and other aircraft with chin bubbles, but I just space mine far enough back so it will fall in my lap if it gets shaken loose. I use the flex arm model and it works really well; it is rock solid and will not be going anywhere when I fly. Anyway, here's the link to the website.

http://www.ram-mount.com/products/suctioncups.htm

Thanks y'all

196 through 496 use all the same mount. Here is the mount you need from Sportys web site. I have it and it works great.

http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?DI...25&CATID=93

there's quite a price difference between the two mounts (sporty's and ram mount).

eggbeater, you use your ram mount in a jet ranger? ever used it in a robbie? and how well does the flexy thing stay in place without all of the vibrations moving it or sagging it down so you have to readjust it?

thanks folks

Actually, the mount on the Sporty's website is a RAM mount too, it says it about halfway down the page. I'm not sure if Sporty's just has an agreement with RAM, but that might be where the price difference comes from. I bought mine direct from RAM and couldn't be more happy. As to using it in the helicopter, that is the beauty of buying the flexible arm. It is basically a flexible metal rod that can be twisted into any weird shape to fit the aircraft. On the website it looked a little "floppy" but it is rock solid. My current aircraft shakes like son of a b***h on the ground but it hasn't been a problem for this mount yet. Any of you who have flown JetRangers know that they can get some violent shakes flat pitch on the ground.

As to mounting it, it shouldn't be a problem in a Robinson. I've twisted my mount 90 degrees so the suction actually attaches on the right side of the bubble, and you should be able to do something similar with a Robinson. You could also stick the suction directly on the glass in front of you, but I'm not sure how far you would have to reach to access it. Hope this helps.

The suction Ram mount sucks, literally. All R 22's vibrate differently, just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for you, it sure didn't for me. A few points why I didn't like it on the right hand wind screen is, it takes your eyes away from where your going when your pre-occupied trying to do something on the GPS, because of the suction mount set-up it is prone to vibration, when you use the functions there can be too much flex in the mount, and also it could fall off in the right conditions at the most inoppertune time and get caught under the pedals.

The best way I found was still the Ram mounting system, but to hard mount it to the center post (requires no modification of the structure at all). On my R22 this was the only spot I found with no vibration (check your compass), it is rock solid so when you push buttons it doesn't budge, its clamped on so it won't fall off, easy to hard wire in being close to the console, your line of site is bang on for where your going, and you don't even have to lean forward to use it.

The only thing you have to do to the off the shelf mount is to file the one end of the mount to fit the center post, I also put a thin layer of rubber for added grip and so not to scratch the post up.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that in this location the co-pilot has easy access and clear site of the GPS, comes in handy if your to busy talking to ATC, setting transponder codes etc.

Hope this helps

Kirt

excellent response. thank you, i'll be ordering the ram flexy mount tonight.

fly safe

post-1168-1205691655_thumb.jpg

The suction Ram mount sucks, literally. All R 22's vibrate differently, just because it worked for someone else does not mean it will work for you, it sure didn't for me. A few points why I didn't like it on the right hand wind screen is, it takes your eyes away from where your going when your pre-occupied trying to do something on the GPS, because of the suction mount set-up it is prone to vibration, when you use the functions there can be too much flex in the mount, and also it could fall off in the right conditions at the most inoppertune time and get caught under the pedals.

The best way I found was still the Ram mounting system, but to hard mount it to the center post (requires no modification of the structure at all). On my R22 this was the only spot I found with no vibration (check your compass), it is rock solid so when you push buttons it doesn't budge, its clamped on so it won't fall off, easy to hard wire in being close to the console, your line of site is bang on for where your going, and you don't even have to lean forward to use it.

The only thing you have to do to the off the shelf mount is to file the one end of the mount to fit the center post, I also put a thin layer of rubber for added grip and so not to scratch the post up.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that in this location the co-pilot has easy access and clear site of the GPS, comes in handy if your to busy talking to ATC, setting transponder codes etc.

Hope this helps

Kirt

Now THAT's pretty sweet.

I've seen a few pictures showing it mounted on the top of the dash with the adhesive mounted bracket. I was thinking about doing that with my 296. Does anyone have any experience with that type of attachment?

ironranger

I have been using that mount for the past two years, and it works okay. I recommend using the temporary adhesive, as it stays on as long as you want it to, but you can remove it. The only problems I have had with that mount is that you need to hold the back of the GPS when you push buttons, or it will spin on the base. The other issue is that over time the little plastic teeth wear off the base and you will need to replace it. You will notice this when the GPS no longer stays in place, but instead tends to rotate on its own. In the past two years, I have had to replace the base only once or twice. Good luck.

I have been using that mount for the past two years, and it works okay. I recommend using the temporary adhesive, as it stays on as long as you want it to, but you can remove it. The only problems I have had with that mount is that you need to hold the back of the GPS when you push buttons, or it will spin on the base. The other issue is that over time the little plastic teeth wear off the base and you will need to replace it. You will notice this when the GPS no longer stays in place, but instead tends to rotate on its own. In the past two years, I have had to replace the base only once or twice. Good luck.

mdroulet,

Thanks for the info, i plan on installing it this weekend

ironranger