What is the title on your flight jacket?

What is the title on your flight jacket?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What job(s) have you held and enjoyed in EMS Aviation. (just for fun to see who is out there)

• Rotorcraft VFR EMS Pilot
    • Rotorcraft SPIFR EMS Pilot
    • Fixed-Wing EMS Pilot
    • Flight Nurse
    • Flight Paramedic
    • Respiratory Therapist
  2. 2. Are you happy with the path you took to get to EMS flying?

• Yes
    • No

I know that questions about HEMS from outsiders summon up images of the proverbial dead horse being beaten. I can sympathies because I get a similar question a lot… How do you become a pilot? I even have a fairly standard response where I refer people to various websites/groups etc.

But it turns out it is not so easy find out info about the EMS Pilot community at large. B)

I realize that operations follow demand and use but can anyone tell me how many EMS flight companies have fixed-wing operations as well? Or even better what are my chances of finding an open fixed-wing position even after building up hiring minimums?

I know that lots of people have come to HEMS from the military as well as from the civilian sector. But if anyone got their 2000 hours some where other than, the military, or the GOM, or instructing I would love to hear your story and find out what it was like.

As I have failed to keep this brief I will in the interest of not writing a novel (sorry I already did), list a few other interesting questions that I think many people in the aviation community might like to know about the EMS side of thing.

How many of your hours did you pay for and about how much of your flight time did an employer give you before you got to 3000 hours TT? About how much did you pay per flight hour?

How hard is it to get an EMS flight job if you are qualified? (job availability)

What kind of training if any, can you expect from your EMS employer?

What kind of knowledge base are your expected to have when hired?

What is the quality of life like? Hours, pay, vacation, etc…

Is the outlook good or bleak for the industry job growth and security?

If you are still paying attention after that ridiculously long list of question thank you for indulging me. If you have any answers to these questions please by all means respond. Or if you just want to comment feel free.

As for my own profile:

I am an instrument rated, commercially licensed pilot, in Single Engine Land (SEL) Airplane.

However, I only have around 300 hours and I have not yet finished my BS degree. Is it even possible to transition into a rotor craft job in the general aviation community without someone else to foot the bill? Paying for even basic ratings seems far more expensive (3 times as expensive) for rotorcraft that for fixed-wing training. Does everyone pay their way through their first 500 hours and if so how did you do it without going bankrupt?

I know that questions about HEMS from outsiders summon up images of the proverbial dead horse being beaten. I can sympathies because I get a similar question a lot… How do you become a pilot? I even have a fairly standard response where I refer people to various websites/groups etc.

But it turns out it is not so easy find out info about the EMS Pilot community at large. B)

I realize that operations follow demand and use but can anyone tell me how many EMS flight companies have fixed-wing operations as well? Or even better what are my chances of finding an open fixed-wing position even after building up hiring minimums?

I know that lots of people have come to HEMS from the military as well as from the civilian sector. But if anyone got their 2000 hours some where other than, the military, or the GOM, or instructing I would love to hear your story and find out what it was like.

As I have failed to keep this brief I will in the interest of not writing a novel (sorry I already did), list a few other interesting questions that I think many people in the aviation community might like to know about the EMS side of thing.

How many of your hours did you pay for and about how much of your flight time did an employer give you before you got to 3000 hours TT? About how much did you pay per flight hour?

How hard is it to get an EMS flight job if you are qualified? (job availability)

If you are still paying attention after that ridiculously long list of question thank you for indulging me. If you have any answers to these questions please by all means respond. Or if you just want to comment feel free.

As for my own profile:

I am an instrument rated, commercially licensed pilot, in Single Engine Land (SEL) Airplane.

However, I only have around 300 hours and I have not yet finished my BS degree. Is it even possible to transition into a rotor craft job in the general aviation community without someone else to foot the bill? Paying for even basic ratings seems far more expensive (3 times as expensive) for rotorcraft that for fixed-wing training. Does everyone pay their way through their first 500 hours and if so how did you do it without going bankrupt?

I'm not in your target group, I'm Vietnam Era military, but..

Some jobs are very, very competitive and a "nugget" has no chance at all. There are jobs that are empty for months and a few for years.

That said, your so-called average EMS job is somewhat more personality driven that many other helo jobs. You have to be what the crew expects you to be to make it work, and that's what's being sought in the interview process. I'd like to think they're after above average aviation skills... Mostly, I think the job calls for somebody detail oriented, a team player who's able to be in charge without being obvious about it.

No EMS operator is going to teach you to fly. You'll have to learn a new and different way.

I can only speak for the single, VFR program I'm with. Part 135 minimums, of course; local area orientation, day and night; when possible, a new EMS pilot will ride on a call or two, and the lead/training captain will ride with you, too. The first couple weeks- days only, then at some point, you'll be released for full duty schedule, including nights.

The medical crew are generally speaking very experienced, some are spoiled having had the same guys flying them for years, and some are used to nuggets and will help when they can. The bad news is that most of the medical crew are very experienced and you likely won't fool them if you screw up.

Good commercial pilot skills and knowledge. Good planning ability, you don't need a crystal ball, though. You'll be more comfortable if you're used to real helo work- confined area and pinnacle/rooftops- airport/traffic pattern only types won't like it.

Pay data's pretty broadly available, as are bennies. All the programs I know of work a 12 hour hitch, days and nights. That's pretty much carved in stone because of the regulatory 10-hour rest requirement.

If you're at a good program in somewhere you want to live, it's a good gig. There are BAD programs in good places, and vice versa.

Community based operations are growing, hospital-based seem to be continuing a decline. My best guess is that this is, overall, a growth industry, although I think some areas are over-served. If you're in a saturated region, the market will rule.

Thanks for the info. That was a good bit of info about the state of the industry. I recognize that there are very few flight jobs that offer training programs. It does not make sense to sift through the mountain of unqualified applicants and foot the enormous bill when there are pilots out there who are qualified. And we all know that no job really wants low hour pilots. Hiring hours fluctuate up and down depending on supply and demand of jobs vs pilots but only by a little.

:mellow: I am just trying to think my career aspirations over. I still have time and the ability to pursue most any area of aviation. I am still working on my BA and I almost have my fixed wing CFI. So, for now it is classes and flight time that is at the top of the agenda. However I am getting close enough to the end of school that it is time to start giving some serious consideration about where I am headed in my flight training.

So, I wanted to get some input from pilots in EMS to find out what they think of their own corner of aviation. Thanks for the reply and thanks for the people who responded to the poll. I must say that I am interested in the story behind the 1 "NO" answer to the question "Are you happy with the path you took to EMS Aviation".

To those who have a story to tell, even a short one, about your experience with getting into EMS aviation compared to how things are today feel free to share it. Or post on the poll.

Happy Flying B)